Room Boundary

Is there a component or method to pull the room boundaries from revit into grasshopper? Ideally, it would be useful to have the boundary represented as a 3D object in order to find if points reside within the room (for example, locating which room an interior elevation marker is placed in)

You can filter elements by ‘Rooms’ category, and get its geometry.

1 Like

Kike,

Thanks for the response. This is exactly what I need, except I do not have the drop down menu when I right click on the Category component. I’m likely missing a basic understanding of this component. Is there a step I’m missing to load geometry into the Categories (very first) component?

We added that menu to the category param component recently.
If you update from here you will have it as well.

Nailed it. Thanks!

Is the ability create room and area geometry in the near term pipeline?

There is a way to get those objects, but not a way to create them in Revit.

Not even sure how you might set a space from scratch.

The truck with spaces and areas is that the categories are hidden by default. So you have to set the hidden flag on the document.categories component.

I know we did a proof of concept so I’ll have Sounok on our team submit a pull request for review.

Hey, what exactly do you mean by “room and area geometry”? You can get all the boundary segments of an Area element, and then have the ability to reconstruct the edge as a nice closed polyline. You can do the access the same information in the Room class. The Room class also provides a useful property called ClosedShell which returns a 3D geometry that represents the room

See this please

https://www.rhino3d.com/inside/revit/beta/guides/revit-spatial#getting-spatial-element-geometry

In v1.7 we added some components under Topology panel that may help here.

Hi @kike ! I’m Happy to see these nodes added. However i’ve faced some strange issue with “Spatial element Geometry”. I’m trying to get the Room’s geometry as Breps from the Linked Revit file. It works well before,but when trying the same with another Revit Link (which have the similar rooms) the component just outpots empty list with error : 1. RevitAPI: Failed to calculate the room 3d geometry.
I’ve also tried to test the old component and it does extract the rooms geometry, but not for all the rooms… In my experience the new component works better in most cases, but i’m just curious why it doesn’t want to calculate 3D geometry? Have you noticed such behavior of the new component?

Hi Mykyta O,

Can you put a small file together demonstrating the issue? You RiR About info would be helpful as well. Thanks!