Right click rotating sometimes cancels operation

Experiencing a frustrating MacRhino bug where right click rotation in perspective mode randomly cancels the current operation. I have “right click” set to rotate and “shift right click” set to pan when in perspective view. When executing an operation like “multiple points” or “orient 3d” where I have to rotate around in space multiple times before the operation is finished, right clicking to rotate will randomly end the operation as if I had hit enter or the space bar. Same thing happens in WIP. Using a magic mouse, but same problem occurs when using a wired 3 button mouse.

anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Dragging selected object and RMB pan cancelling move?

Anyone?? Mcneel??

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #3

@dan, @marlin - probably something for you to look at.

It also appears to happen when right clicking to pan in 2D mode (Top, Side, Front, etc)

(Dan Belcher) #5

(emphasis on randomly mine)

I have seen similar reports of this and I think I have experienced this myself…I think. This is one of those very difficult to reproduce ones.

I have been right-clicking to orbit in “Orient3pt” for the last 10 minutes and I cannot reproduce this. I understand this one might be one of those “I can’t seem to reliably repeat it, but I know it happens!” type of bugs…so any more clues you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah I think you’re right on the money. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find any more specifics… All I can tell you is if I just right click under the same circumstances (not right click and drag like I was describing before) it does absolutely nothing. Doesn’t cancel the operation like when I right click and drag. Also I noticed it seems to happen when I shift right click to pan in perspective mode as well as right click to rotate. Problem is, it seems entirely random and it happens all the time for me… If I can find any more correlations I will certainly post them here

In the past couple week, I’ve also noticed the same thing happening to me, but I use Rhino on Windows. When I hold shift to pan or just orbit with the right-click, sometimes it will randomly register as a regular right-click. This results in either initiating the previous command or exiting out of my current command. And sometimes, holding shift and right-click-drag does not pan at all. I’m not sure if this is a performance thing (my model is not that complex/heavy) or just some bug. It did not happen before and I don’t think I’ve updated the software in the past few weeks.

(John Brock) #8

If the mouse isn’t moving when you right-click, Rhino interprets that as pressing “Enter”. If the mouse if moving, it’s a Pan/Rotate.

I would expect this to be effected by your current mouse motion and click speed settings.
You might try an adjustment of those and see if anything changes.

It’s definitely not that… I will very deliberately make sure to click and drag to prevent this from happening and it happens anyway. This is definitely a bug and not user error. Also a simple right click does not work like it does on PC… right clicking will do absolutely nothing (as I believe it’s supposed to on Mac) or it can pull up menus which I have disabled in settings, but it does’t function like enter or the space bar as it does on PC (although I wish it would!)

(John Brock) #10

I understand.
Please understand that we can’t fix problems until we can reliably repeat them in a “debug” build of Rhino so we can see the issue in code as it happens.

I have not had the problem myself. I do a fair amount of Mac Rhino testing, but I do not run it all day every day.

Of course. Thank you for your help!

I’d wish for that too…

Philip

It appears that this bug was a direct result of having Better Touch Tool installed on my system. After I finally thought to try quitting BTT, the error has not reoccured. It was also causing similarly frustrating bugs in Adobe Illustrator. What a relief!