Rhino WIP Toolbars

Hi there,

I have installed Rhino WIP today and saw some strange behavior on the toolbars.

1. The toolbars are changing names to …(01) when pulled of the tab to be shown permanently in another edge on screen. Is that normal? How to show toolbars correctly?
  2. Toolbars dragged cannot be reduced to single line of icons. Why?
  3. Toolbars dragged below a certain border on screen will show strange graphical behavior as below:

My system is as follows:
    Rhino 8 SR0 2023-2-28 (Rhino WIP, 8.0.23059.12305, Git hash:master @ 10feece0320668b32d425edee056eb7c5926abb2)
    License type: Kommerziell, Build 2023-02-28
    License details: Cloud Zoo
    Expires on: 2023-04-14

Windows 10 (10.0.19044 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 80Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (AMD) Memory: 16GB, Driver date: 2-10-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 Compatibility Profile Context 23.2.1.230210
> Accelerated graphics device with 7 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 2-10-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.14001.45012
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 57032 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Bongo 3.0 (64-bit)\BongoEtoUI.rhp “BongoEtoUI” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Bongo 3.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6\Bongo.30.rhp “Bongo 3.0”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoRoslyn.rhp “RhinoRoslyn” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCPython.rhp “RhinoCPython” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\ConstraintsUI.rhp “Constraints UI” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hi André -

That is normal, yes. In Rhino 8, all panels and toolbars live in a “container”. It’s the name of the container that you are seeing.

I don’t know about the “why?” part of this, but the request to make that possible is on the list → RH-71817 Floating toolbar groups cannot be sized to be a single row high

I’m not seeing that here. Can you post your screen’s DPI and scaling info?
-wim

Hi Wim,

My screen resolution is 5120x1440, the scaling from the windows settings is 125%. I have posted a high res screenshot below.

I wanted to be them single line as I have the analysis bars always on the lower right edge.
Just now I thought if its possible to go a step further and integrate several toolbars on the lower edge of the screen. Up to now I have the Osnap placed there and more is only possible if they are free floating. Which causes me sometimes to accidently move them.
I noticed in the new arrangement the Osnap contains the filter bar as well. I’m working with filters a lot and like them to be on screen at the same time in order not to switch back and force.
Is it possible to create a new toolbar which shows both?
Another thing I noticed is the the side toolbars are switching anymore when the tab on top changes.
Did I mess up something? Should I reinstall it?
Here is my Rhino7 arrangement:

The empty toolbar was supposed to take the Osnap and filter parallel…

Edit: I couldn’t reproduce the graphic behaviour from yesterday. But I can see it in the screen shot from yesterday if I zoom in. Today the toolbars show different behaviour as seen in the first screenshot above.

Thanks!

Hi André -

That image is only 1920x540 and I can’t really see what’s going on.

Isn’t that the Osnap panel floating over a viewport in the lower left?

Well…
Some new Rhino 8 terms and concepts to get familiar with and use in a conversation with the people around you : )
Both toolbars and panels now (as in “unlike in previous Rhino versions”) always reside in “Containers”. You can put toolbars and panels together in a single container. In previous versions, the Osnap and Filter “boxes” were special objects. In Rhino 8, they are panels just like any other panels.

Back to your question. Yes, you can place the Osnaps panel, the Filters panel, and the analysis toolbar together in the same container and dock that to the sides of the UI. I’ve tried to mimic what’s in your screenshot and put some panels and toolbars together in a custom window layout. You can import this one and see how that works for you:
André.rhw (27.7 KB)

That seems to only do that for certain tabs at the top, but that’s the same behavior on Rhino 7.
-wim

1 Like

Hi Wim,

Now I tried not to drag them into the window but upload them.

Hi @BauerNaval I suspect Discourse is scaling these images down. pls send them here with a link back to this thread

Hi Wim,
to answer your question:
The OSnap Bar is placed below the Layout buttons and not floating.

Putting several one a container together is not my point.
I’m using filters and Osnaps often at the same time, disabling some of their options on both and I don’t like to switch back and force between the toolbars and a container.
For example when I’m drawing or editing curves and there are already many different other objects in the file, I’m choosing curves only and when switched on the edit points only these can be selected.
This allows in large models not switch off dozens of layers or the hide lots of objects.
My models usually have 100 or more layers, sorted deck by deck. Hiding and getting objects back can be time intensive just not to catch the wrong item.
So having both Osnap and Filters available at the same time has worked well for me.
The Filter Bar is floating indeed as its not poosible differently. The only other chance is to waste another line of space on screen.
And that’s exactly the point, I want them not to waste another line, I want them to be side by side in fixed positions. And if possible other toolbars as those floating in the lower right edge as well.
This shows my layer setup for 2 decks, exterior only:

Do you need it?

Would be great! How did you do that?

Example:

1 Like

:ok_hand: Great, thanks. Means there can pe placed more as well.

1 Like

And it even works with R7 as well…

Hi André -

Since you posted this in Serengeti and we are discussing Rhino 8, no, in your Rhino 8 picture that one is floating:

It doesn’t sound like you understood what I was trying to say about the new Rhino 8 system. Also, it doesn’t sound like you tried using the *.rhw file that I posted. Why not?
-wim

Hi Wim,
true, in the WIP Screenshot the Toolbar is floating as I didn’t manage to place it as in R7 on the lower edge. That’s the reason I posted the screenshot from R7 as well. One of my questions was if it’s possible to have it the same way in WIP8.
Thanks to the User Inju I managed to place several parallel there.
I’ve been using Rhino for almost 20 years now, but never came across an rhw file. And I haven’t found any note in the help or on the Internet. As Inju came with the links at the same time I stopped searching for how to convince Rhino to read it.
I believe I have understood the container concept quite well, there’s nothing complicated about that.
But I’m working on my own, no people around to share experiences with.

It’s looking like this now and that’s even better than before.
Still it would be convenient to have sidebar changing according to the connected tab above.

Hi André -

That’s because that is new in Rhino 8. As is the container system.
Run the Rhino WindowLayout command. From the gear drop-down pick “Import window layout”. Then select the *.rhw file.

As for this one:

which tab in Rhino 7 changes the sidebar that doesn’t do this in Rhino 8?
-wim

Hi Wim,
I believe there’s something wrong with my installation.
None of the tab changes a sidebar and the Command “WindowLayout” is unknown.

Do you have any ideas?

Hi André -

Just to make sure, this is the “Serengeti” category and all I’m saying here is specifically new in Rhino 8.
With that, please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

Sure, all in R8…
I also made sure there’s no misspelling and for teh second try I copied the command from your message.
Rhino 8 SR0 2023-2-28 (Rhino WIP, 8.0.23059.12305, Git hash:master @ 10feece0320668b32d425edee056eb7c5926abb2)
License type: Kommerziell, Build 2023-02-28
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2023-04-14

Windows 10 (10.0.19044 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 80Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (AMD) Memory: 16GB, Driver date: 2-10-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 Compatibility Profile Context 23.2.1.230210
> Accelerated graphics device with 7 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 2-10-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.14001.45012
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 57032 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Bongo 3.0 (64-bit)\BongoUI.30.v60.rhp “BongoUI30v40”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Bongo 3.0 (64-bit)\BongoEtoUI.rhp “BongoEtoUI” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Bongo 3.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6\Bongo.30.rhp “Bongo 3.0”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\MeshTools.rhp “MeshTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoRoslyn.rhp “RhinoRoslyn” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCPython.rhp “RhinoCPython” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\ConstraintsUI.rhp “Constraints UI” 8.0.23059.12305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Thanks.
On the menu line, do you have the Window item with the Window Layouts sub-item?
-wim

Yes Wim, it’s there.