Rhino on Linux?

I thought my cheesy Coleco Electronic Football joke would put an end to these “can you make Rhino for this OS my cousin wrote over the weekend on a dare?” but I was wrong.

Check out this link 4+ Ways to Run Windows Software on Linux. I invested 30 seconds googling, so you guys better read it.

EDIT: I didn’t think the prior comment was sarcastic enough, so I am now drafting a sternly-worded letter on wax paper in long hand to Microsoft. I’m asking them to make a version of Windows run on my Roomba. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

Nice Schultze. I like the way you think.

@schultzeworks: plz move on. If you don’t like it don’t read it, instead of trolling. Do you really think people would ask for a Linux version if it would be that easy to use those solutions you’ve googled out :wink: ?
The reasons is many did try and found out those options lacking:

1. Wine - even if you get Rhino running under Wine it is crashy / buggy .
  2. Virtual machine - close , but still very limiting. The only option to make good use of your hardware with this option is to use pcie passthrough - which requires 2 graphic cards and more setting than majority of people are willing to handle .
  3. Crossover - same as Wine
  4. Dual boot - you simply can’t make a smooth workflow if you need to reboot your computer when you wish to switch apps.

@Nathan: glad you had some initial success with Wine/Crossover. Got to admit that I would be satisfied even with semi-official working wrapper (Wine etc) - I can understand that McNeel may want to focus on something else rather than native Linux build. Porters (like Ethan Lee, Knockout games or comapnies like Virtual Programming) with software like Rhino may be out of the equation as well as most seems to be rather games orientated and it simply could be tricky with a running show (apps that are getting new versions and being constantly developed), rather than one off like games usually are.

Linux has proven for me so much more enjoyable environment that I’m considering virtual machine with pcie passthrough option as at this time it seems the only way to get a semi decent workflow.

6 Likes

I like Windows. All of my apps run on it. All of them, right now, today! Woot.

Some people call Windows a monopoly. Others call it a useful standard that enables developers to make reliable apps on the prevailing, market-leading platform.

2 Likes

@schultzeworks : cool you enjoy Windows. If that works for you it’s ok.

Personally I don’t have any really hard feelings about Windows, neither I started to move to Linux because of some sort of ideological reasons. Simply put Linux turned out to be more straightforward, easier to use , with less unmovable roadblocks platform for me.

All I’m saying different people have different tastes / needs. Bashing them with misguided sarcasm won’t do any good. Live an let live :slight_smile: .

8 Likes

All the 100k people who would like to use Rhino on Linux should donate 100 $ each to support the FreeCAD people…

1 Like

Sounds like a plan.
We still have no plans for a Rhino on any other operating system besides Windows and OSX.

4 Likes

Greetings Guys,

Let’s not cloud up the positive discussion.
There are not 100k designers wanting to run Rhino on Linux!
Based on the response to my Rhino-On-Mint YouTube videos, I would estimate 5k.
Also, there is no need for a 'Linux version" - so long as Wine compatibility is maintained.

Here in the bunker, we run W7 on half our machines and Linux Mint on half our machines.
My opinion of W7 is good, but W10 is unabashed spyware - so use what you like.

What would be the point on running Rhino inside wine inside Linux? Wine ads another layer of resource consuming processes.
The main interest of running Rhino under any OS other than Windows is the awful windows management of hardware and software resources… in other words… system speed.
In my very humble opinion I agree with Rhino developers not developing a Linux version as it would involve a lot of effort without having a stable and standardized target of development (so many distros, maybe Ubuntu/Debian could be the one I would choose) and the option having a better OS than Windows is Mac rhino version… as far as I know OSX is Unix based as Linux but seems to be more reliable as developement target than any Linux distro alone.
(I’m pretty sure there are a lot more designers using Mac than any other linux distro alone.)
I’m a Linux fun and I use Linux as dual boot in two systems in my home-office, and despite of How much I would realy love a linux Rhino version… If I have to make a move I will point this efforts in improving Rhino 6 for mac as a more reliable stable and less resource consuming OS than Windows.
Anyway If I was millonaire I would pay McNeel for a personal Ubuntu rhino version :wink:
Regards.
Ale

2 Likes

I agree I’d prefer NOT to run Rhino via WINE. But pretty much disagree on else.
While I don’t like WINE it does not get you a huge overhead. The same goes for virtual machine - usually performance is near native. There are issues with both solutions though ( hassles of setting those up etc).
Number of distros is not a problem nowadays for most part. If you do things correctly app running on RHEL will run on Ubuntu as well (and I tell this from my own experience - I’ve been running dcc and modeling apps on Linux for a while). You can also provide your app as an .appimage for example and you basically get rid of dependency issues (flatpak and snaps will probably be a good options too when they mature).
OSX is no longer good choice for 3D stuff nowadays. First of all Apple crippled opengl on it - probably hoping they can convince devs to use metal.
To add insult to injury current hardware setups are even worse for 3D. Also not that good for tinkerers. It really seems that pro space is no longer in Apple’s focus.
They are still good for 2d and music though - but those are not areas I’m currently interested in.

Being less resource hungry is nice, but for me it is not critical - as long as I can get the job done without gritting my teeth. It’s rather about workflow. And for me it is better on unix-like systems.
And even though I don’t have hard feelings towards Windows the moves Microsoft makes piss me at times. For example just last week I’ve been hit by a problem caused by forced update - I’ve set a prototyping job to complete overnight, just to discover that all went to hell as Windows 10 updated and restarted without asking (and sadly it is not as easy to get rid of those as was with previous versions - I also can’t simply disconnect internet access in huge chunk of cases as the jobs rely on it).

And yeah, I understand why Rhino devs do not have linux version on a to-do list. But for me it is a kind of chicken-egg problem. Are there not enough designers using Linux because it is unsuitable platform or because they can’t find apps they need for their work on this platform?
Oh and btw - you probably know that huge chunk of Hollywood uses Linux, don’t you :wink: ?
Luckily things are getting better for Linux users - while I was not able to use Linux for work a couple of years ago, now I can. I have a selection of dcc apps (Maya, Modo, Blender…), texturing apps (Substance Painter, 3D Coat), sculpting (3D Coat). Majority of my 2d needs are covered thx to Krita, video editing and composting are ok thx to Blender and Blackmagic Fusion. Industrial CAD is basically the last sore spot.
And that’s why I’d be grateful even for a preconfigured WINE (or other) wrapper :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

pretty sure the most software choices and fastest hardware for 3D work on mac is happening right now.
what are you talking about- osx used to be a good choice for 3D stuff?

2 Likes

??? have you checked specs for both mac pro and macbooks pro? They are nowhere near of what you can get with a regular PC (and at a lower price usually - but I wouldn’t mind paying extra if the specs were good, just to get a nice OS).
For many lack of supported Nvidia option is another painful bit - while I’d love AMD to fare better, at this point of time green team wins in huge chunk of scenarios.

Heck, even some of the diehard fans of Apple (at least up to now) I work with decided to made a switch to Windows, just for the sake of getting work done faster.
A couple of years back Apple was a good choice for 3d workstation (I’m talking about those nice silver tower mac pros), but it is no longer the case.

i owned the mac pro you’re talking about… since they very first came out… and i did 3D work on it…

regardless. the thing i quoted you saying is:
“OSX is no longer good choice for 3D stuff nowadays.”

…which implies there once was a time when OSX was a good choice for 3D stuff but it’s no longer a good choice…
and i’m saying, no, now is the best time to date to use OSX for 3D stuff… for example, the imac i’m using now runs cad faster than any mac that’s come before… and more importantly-- there are more 3D applications available now for mac than ever before… for examples relevant to this forum – there was no such thing as Rhino for Mac for the first year or two of owning a mac pro tower… there was a beta version during the remainder of that model’s lifespan… also, grasshopper for mac is only a few months old… many more examples of this and/or alternative paradigms (ie- cloud) which add up to what i said in my first reply to you.

Jeff , and for a minute I thought I missed sarcasm in your first reply.

We’re talking about different things. You’re comparing current Macs to old Macs - I’m comparing current ones to other modern PCs. And that’s where current Macs lag behind (I’m talking compute power). In the past the gap was not there and Mac Pros were much more flexible than current offering.
Imacs are even worse for me - I couldn’t consider them for my work as I do a bit of rendering and iMacs throttle quite noticeably (note - I use apps outside CAD as well, like DCC, sculpting, rendering etc).

And don’t get me wrong - I like Macs. But currently for 3D work requiring quite a bit of compute power and a bit of choice when it comes to graphic cards (or at the very least upgradeability) non-Apple PCs in most of the cases are a better choice.
Sadly it seems Apple is not interested in changing this as they seem to be more focused on regular consumer markets nowadays.

… but we’re getting awfully offtopic now :smiley: .

Hey, any news on getting Rhino to work with Ubuntu 16.04? I am using OpenFOAM and ANSYS and a partner sent me the drawings he made in RHINO but I need to edit. I would really like to not need to install Windows in this computer.

2 Likes

Can you also make a version that will run on my Sinclair ZX81? Now, if I could just find my cassette player for the upload!

1 Like

???

It’s just the license manager dude. It doesn’t recognize the license or works at all, the software works. I just want to use legal software.

I executed the exe, it will spit in user/Temp a folder with the msi, I used lessmsi on it. I just can’t find a way to get the license manager to cooperate with me.

1 Like

Greetings Erico,

CodeWeavers CrossOver installs Rhino 5 and it runs. I will not say it runs well - plenty of gingerbread will not function. But the core program works ok. If you are good with Rhino commands, all will be well.

Whoa! seriously? Thanks! I just need to do inspect a drawing before going to meshs. Dual xeon here, virtualbox is crazy, will see if it works!

Edit: Yuhu! If I can get the evaluation license to work it’s viable to buy!

As long as you know we can’t support Rhino running under anything but Windows and OSX/macOS.
You would be on your own.

1 Like