Rhino materials don't refresh since the latest update

Hey,
since the last update i have a problem with the rhino materials. It often happens that i assign a material to an object, but then it is not displayed in the rendered image. After i closed the rhino file and restarted it, i see the material in the rendering.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Best
Jan

Hi Jan.

Yes, this seems to be an untraced intermittant problem that occurs in Rhino 8, where material application and changes to materials are essentially goverened by a lottery system.

Do you have to close Rhino? In most cases I see, I can simply change viewport mode, and that causes a forced refresh of everything.

Hey David,
i have to close Rhino completely. Sometimes changing the viewport modus works for the reytraced modus but if i render a picture, the problem stays the same :persevere: :persevere:

Please run the Rhino command _SystemInfo and post the result in a reply.

Rhino 8 SR6 2024-3-19 (Rhino 8, 8.6.24079.11001, Git hash:master @ 0d13b06881495403bd28e1cee93f8c8ea0baec7c)
License type: Kommerziell, Build 2024-03-19
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 64GB)
.NET 7.0.16

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 1-18-2024 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 551.23
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 1-18-2024
Driver Version: 31.0.15.5123
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\j.kronsbein\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\8.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.3\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.3.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.6.24079.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.6.24079.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.6.24079.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.6.24079.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.6.24079.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.6.24079.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Nothing out of the ordinary in your system information, thanks.

I don’t recognize the issue you are reporting. Could you maybe make a screen recording showing what it is that is happening? If it becomes a large video you can upload it to rhino3d.com/upload?to=nathan@mcneel.com - my address is prefilled so that I get a notification when the upload has completed. Please zip it along with a the 3dm file.

Yes, i will record a video next time i have the problem :+1: :+1:
Thanks!

1 Like

Hey,
i sended you a video now. :incoming_envelope:

Hi @Jan_Holger , thank you for the video upload. I don’t see you assigning a material on that video though. I see you selecting a couple of objects, then you switch to Rendered mode, but I don’t know what has happened between selecting the objects and changing to Rendered mode. My first guess would be that you didn’t apply a material there. But that is just a guess since I can’t see what is happening and I don’t have the 3dm file for verification.

Could you share that 3dm file? You can use the same link for uploading that to me.

:smiley: :smiley: no that is not the reason. I’m using Rhino since over 10 years and i know how to assign a material. The materials window was there but the windows record tool only recorded the one window. You can see that the material is assigned when i switch to rendered mode in the video. The green parts. When i switch to raytraced the green material is gone. Also when i click on render. I have to shut down rhino completely and restart to solve the problem.
I uploaded the 3dm file for you :slightly_smiling_face:
But I think it’s a program error because I’ve been having this problem all the time lately. In different files…

I am not doubting your abilities. I am just looking to get a complete picture, and I don’t know how you assigned the material. This may be crucial information in figuring out what is going on.

I am pretty sure you can do whole-screen recording also with the Windows recording tool, allowing you to capture all necessary windows. If that doesn’t work perhaps try Open Broadcast Software - I use it often for recording purposes.

Anyway, let me investigate the model you shared.

Edit: I looked at the file and I can’t see anything out of the ordinary. I can select objects, assign materials, and when switching to Raytraced that shows up normally.

I will keep looking at this, but if you have a set of steps that always causes this behavior for you please write those down and post them here.

All good, all good. I would be happy if that were the solution :smiley:
Next time the problem arises i’ll make a video with obs. The problem occurs randomly, so I can’t cause it consciously.

Thank you for the second video upload.

From this we can see that before Raytraced actually starts at second 46 of your video the OpenGL version also has no material.

I don’t know yet what this means, I haven’t been able to reproduce just yet, but I’ll log this as a bug in our YouTrack system so that it doesn’t get lost on the forum here.

Logged as: RH-81207 Material assignment doesn’t always stick

Thanks a lot

Hey what do you think, is there a solution coming soon? It is sooo anoying!

The bug is currently on the list of @andy and still open.

1 Like

I noticed that when you change the object, the texture and errors disappear, or that you can force the parameters to be updated, for example by scaling. Maybe that helps. There is also an additional error, as can be seen in the video. That when you move elements around, a kind of ghost is created. It then disappears as soon as i scale the object…