Rhino File is too big and can't find solution

Most of my final rhino files are huge in size an I don’t know where the problem is.
I usually do most of the 3d modeling work through sketchup and then import it to rhino for further detailed modeling work and rendering.
But the final model file size is always over 1.5GB (is this normal for an office/school size project?) and lags often when I try rendering with enscape, and takes a while to save.
I tried the audit3dm command and saw that there was a lot of data in the objects table but I’m not sure if that’s the problem.

Can someone please check out my rhino file and see where the problem is?

btw I import the surfaces as trimmed planes when importing from sketchup to rhino.
the file above is rhino7

The file was laggy after opening and orbiting.
It turned out there was some (large) geometry a bit further away in various directions, deleting that and then purging removed 167 unused blocks, 5000+ empty groups and a few other things.
It didn’t reduce file size that much but it became quite a bit more responsive.

The problem is that you have a lot of single identical objects that might work out better if they were instances of a single block, that usually reduces overhead within the file. Not sure though if it would make a difference for Enscape as I am not using that but I can imagine if one block has been rendered it will render the instances faster than when it has to render each individual but identical item one by one.

Those with Enscape experience can probably be of more help on this.

Hi -

You might as well import them as meshes. Then, in Rhino, select all meshes that are on the same layer and/or share the same material and join those into a single mesh. That should greatly reduce the number of objects in your scene and might make it more manageable.
-wim

Here is a sample of what Wim was suggesting, the model converted to meshes and joined by materials (a quick take on it): reduced to 170MB and should work very fast.

Obviously you may need to be selective about it since in some cases meshes may be harder to edit in Rhino but just for visualization purposes this may be the best way to go:
DOWNLOAD MODEL

is there a difference between importing as trimmed surfaces and meshes?
I’m not clear about the difference exactly but I remember doing the work more easily when I imported them as trimmed surfaces. Maybe had something to do with making things into closed polysurfaces and such.

also if you’re using vray or enscape, will materials be applied to meshes without any problems? I usually make sure they’re polysurfaces or surfaces

Hi -

There is a difference between handling large amounts of surfaces and meshes. For one, when you are using surfaces, you are doubling the amount of geometry in the file - meshes are still created to display the surfaces. Also, disconnected surfaces can’t be joined into a single object - meshes can. Each and every object in the scene has an overhead. A few thousands or one single object makes a large difference.

It all depends what you need to do. There are more tools to work with surfaces than with meshes.
If your file gets that big that you can’t navigate in it, more tools won’t help much.

I’m not using either of these, no.
-wim