Rhino Eating my Hard Drive Space

Hi @Gijs @Akash
Do you know that when you send a file to somebody else (by email or network, for example), the Mac sends only the current version, stripping out all the history?

thanks, didn’t know that

no, didn’t know that. So basically you’re saying, if someone shares a file with me through a cloud drive, I open it, and at the end save the changes, this will remove any previous versions?

I just tried sending a file to myself via an iCloud link, and it removed all versions of that file. I don’t have time now but I will investigate further and will come back if I find anything worth sharing.

Cheers,
José

Thanks for chipping in Jose

Maybe 15.5.6 system update will Magically help OTHER to shrink to it’s ‘natural’ condition. [didn’t had time to install it yet]

Akash

I have had Rhino eat space up like mad and the cause was multiple versions of files. I went to the Apple forums and got directions where to go and I manually deleted old versions and the problem went away.

Thanks Miano, Can you advise what version of MacOS that was please? I have been previously able to access the Other and delete files using Disk Sweeper but that doesn’t appear to be possible with Catalina.

Hi @tgra
I’ve started a new thread trying to survey how wide spread is this issue among Rhino Mac users. Hopefully people will check and respond…

I believe it was Mojave at the time.

I have over 140GB of ‘Other’ on my drive :scream:🤷🤷, how to locate and delete this ??

click on Manage, then scroll down somewhere it should say reduce chaos or something which sounds similar, that will show you the biggest files listed on top.

1 Like

After using Rhino only sporadically for three days the level of Other has retreated to levels of about a week ago which seems to confirm my suspicion that Rhino is either saving far too many versions, or is too slow to delete old versions.

For now I have adequate disc space but obviously the problem will return as soon as I start using Rhino intensively again.

Is this an Apple issue or a Rhino issue?

This issue has become a chronic problem for me since I first reported it in July 2020. The other is now using 1.48TB of my Hard Drive space and I’m unable to save large files.
I did see some suggestions on how to deal with it - I tried them and they didn’t work. I can’t find that post now. Akash invited users to respond to a survey on this topic in this forum on 27th July 2020 but I don’t see any follow up on this.
The only other way I can deal with it is to stop using Rhino and wait until some disk space becomes available.

In my original post I was using Rhino 6. Now on 7.

@dan

Surely Mcneel can rig Rhino so we can turn off the version saving function, or at least limit the number of versions that are saved??? Time Machine and Drop Box both create last resort backups.

Ugh. Yikes. This is clearly a problem. I presume you’ve tried everything in this topic above…?

Can you please verify something for me?

1. In Finder, navigate to the Go menu > Go to Folder… (or press Command+Shift+G)
  2. In the Go to Folder… dialog, go to ~/Library/
  3. Find the Autosave Information folder, select it, right-click and select Get Info
  4. Wait…if this folder is the culprit then calculating the size may take awhile.

What is the Size of the folder? Does it appear to only contain 3dm files? Are there other applications here as well?

This is the option I prefer. I believe we did some work to figure out if this was feasible, but I’m having trouble tracking down the result of that investigation. I will have to do more work here.

1 Like

I held Autosave information open for a few hours and it settled on 22.78GB of Rhino files - only a small fraction of the 1.48TB of other on my drive. All files were Rhino files except for a couple of PDF’s.
@dan

These are the instructions I found somewhere (below) - turns out I had copied them to a text file.
Yes, these instructions work, but they are deleting older backups from Time Machine, not from the on board hard drive.

Can I delete old versions of the file?

Yes, you can delete the older versions of the file. To do this, launch Rhino for Mac and open the file in question. Navigate to the File > Revert To > Browse All Versions… When the Version explorer appears, move the mouse pointer to upper border of your screen and the Rhinoceros menu bar will appear. Under File > Revert To you can delete a single old version or - if you hold down the option/alt key - you can delete all previous versions. This will not delete the open 3dm file, but only the previous versions of it. If the menu choice “Delete This Version” or “Delete All Versions” is greyed out, the Versions file or files in question are not on your local disk. They are part of your regular Time Machine backup and cannot be deleted.

23 GB is still a good chunk-o-disk though, but it is a decent illustration that Rhino is not the only culprit here…just one of the offenders.

Yes, these are from the article linked to above on the wiki. Just pointing out that is where you found them.

So, just to make sure I understand, when you do the Delete All Versions step, only the TimeMachine versions are deleted? Is that correct?

My understanding (perhaps flawed) is that Delete All Versions - which calls a macOS provided bit of code we don’t have access to - is telling macOS to flag these files for eventual deletion. What is frustrating for me - as a user - is I don’t understand why that disk space cannot be reclaimed right away.

Fundamentally, I agree we may need to provide a way to disable Autosave/Versions and we should investigate this. This used to be possible at both the Application and System level, but no more. That said, I think we would always leave Autosave/Versions on by default.

Dan, Yes it’s definitely Time Machine. The message on the RH side of the screen shot reads “no previous versions available, error retrieving versions from time Machine”. When I press the option key I get “This version is stored in time Machine and cannot be deleted”. I don’t see any way to access versions stored on the internal hard drive.
Same result with a number of files tested. I assume the earlier Time Machine versions have been overwritten

@dan

I’m curious to know how this works. My 4TB Time Machine drive has multiple Backup Versions from the regular Time Machine backups. (Screen Snap) - so why does it tell me no previous versions available? And is Rhino saving versions to Time Machine BU disk as well as my Hard Drive?
My free space is down to 93.42GB and performance is affected. I will need to take action this week to be able to keep working.

@dan