Rhino Dark Theme

This is just a crop of a screenshot someone posted earlier in this thead. I don’t have this scheme to share, sorrry. You would likely have to change colours in your global Windows scheme to acheive a similar effect, as the Layer Background colour is hardcoded afaik, also in Rhino 6.

I have “dark mode” enabled in Windows 10 using the latest 1903 update which even turns the file manager dark, but Rhino V6 is still very white (and blue, for some reason). I wonder, since this thread is very old… is full theming support possibly planned for V7?

4 Likes

Still can’t make a proper Dark UI in V6…

1 Like

Nope, Rhino for Windows has not gone over to the ‘dark side’ yet… (Nothing will happen for V6 in any case, if it’s going to ‘go dark’, it will be in V7…)

It’s not so much about getting dark or Pink or whatever…
It’s about something flexible, modern, and not patchy.
I made a few wishes here, but if, as I hope, GH2 gets more integrated in the Rhino UI, there’s a need for some serious thinking to seam or blend those two together.

2 Likes

A bit of expectations management is in order here, I see. There’s nothing in the works for RH7 in that direction at the moment…
-wim

1 Like

I did say “if”, didn’t I? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

But all the software has become a dark Theme, And mobile apps Also :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. I personally hate dark themes. I don’t understand the appeal of wanting a dark theme, but if it does eventually happen I sure hope it will be an option I can avoid.

Dan

3 Likes

The biggest upside of a dark theme is with mobile devices that have OLED screens:
Changing the system settings on the last iPhone to “dark theme” can prolong battery life up to 30%.
So a dark theme for Rhino might have some positive effects for laptop user (with OLED equipped laptop).

The rest is more or less down to personal preference, I guess.

these colors are handled by windows and don’t seem to be easily changeable in windows 10. You’ll have to dive into the register settings:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/133985-change-window-background-color-windows-10-a.html

I was wrong:

Sounds so 90ies

yes, I agree, it’s cumbersome to say the least. Posted that just in case you deliberately want to change these colors.
Personally I’m perfectly happy with how Rhino looks. Maybe that is because I have calibrated my screen for print output which means the whites don’t act like spotlights in my face.

1 Like

Have you considered using a software to help you feel more comfortable in front of the monitor?

For example, programs like f.lux (free) and Iris (paid) do the following:

• Reduce and sometimes completely eliminate the flickering of the backlight. Some people are very sensitive to flickering. It causes: tiredness, headache, nervosity, migraine. Some monitors or TVs won’t be affected by this setting and may continue to flicker. Most laptops, monitors and TVs, however, will benefit from using f.lux or Iris.

• Change the colour temperature up to 3 times during the day-night cycle, in order to control the amount of light emitted though the screen depending on the time of day. For example, the software may be set to allow colder colour temperature during sunny days, while at the morning or evening it may produce a warmer picture that’s more comfortable for use in rooms with artificial surround lighting.

• Reduce the amount of blue light, which causes damages to the human eye.

https://justgetflux.com/

https://iristech.co/

Do you have any idea what controls this area? Yours is not default…

I’m so close to greatness…

1 Like

The user controls of a WPF (Eto at Windows) app usually have strong relations to the current windows theme. I personally would never change the windows theme to change a apps theme. Many border colors, shadows or 2.5 d User controls such as List/Tree View take Systemcolors in their template.
But(!) its possible to override any usercontrols style and as a last resort the Controltemplate from McNeels side.
This really is a fair amount of work, but if someone is claiming its not possible or that this a trivial task then both statements are simply not true! Since many resources are statically loaded it is not possible to change that within the App during Runtime but it might be possible by patching the Rhino.exe. Is it worth, definitely no.

i am on win 7,

here it is this :

3 Likes

Hi @dk2079

How do I get these options to change colors ?

2 Likes