Rhino crashes when opening a 3dm-file which as been (intentionally) overwritten by Rhino 5.4 with a new content

Rhino crashes when opening a 3dm-file which as been (intentionally) overwritten by Rhino 5.4 with a new content. The crash will exit Rhino without a warning and leave you with a file which appears to be empty.

I’ve seen a similar report, but I’m unable to reproduce this behavior on my machine. Can you please post the steps you took (in detail) to reproduce this issue?

Hi Dan.

I posted a detailed post about this issue, but can’t seem to find it. It might have been on the announcemnent of version 5.4 post and relocated or deleted? Anyway: The issue has to do with the Auto Save feature in Mac OS X.

1. Save your file under the name “InitialSketch.3dm”
  2. Add stuff and make changes to the design and “Save As…” (holding down OptionKey and File pulldown)
  3. Save your file under a different name such as “BranchingOff.3dm” - wait for the Auto Save to kick in…
  4. Make changes to your design and decide the new designsketch should be “promoted” to substitute the first.
  5. Save your altered file under the name “InitialSketch.3dm” to (intentionally) overwrite the original sketch.
  6. Wait for the Auto Save “feature” to kick in… BAM! Rhino Crashes - Happens everytime on my machine.
  7. Check the filesize and timestamp on the “InitialSketch.3dm” and then try to open the file. - Is it empty?

Kind regards Tim

Hi Tim,
Thanks for all the details.
Dan and I both took a run at this and are unable to reproduce the crash that you are reporting on our computers.

However, I made a screen capture video.
I hope that you can watch it and see if I missed any critical step.

Here are my system specs:
Rhinoceros version: 5.4 (5E407)
Language: en-US (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G1212)

Let me know if there is anything more I need to do to duplicate this problem on my computer.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

Hi Mary Ann.
I have now seen you video. The only thing I do differently is that I manually type in the filename I wish to overwrite. You pick the file, but the rest is the same. On my computer Rhino crashed (very consistently) everytime.
Tim

Hi Mary Ann and Dan.

I suggest you try the method I have already explained but use a file saved in an iCloud subfolder. Working offline on a local 3dm-file works OK for me in 5.4, but I really don’t do that so often anymore :slight_smile: I can send you a video using WeTransfer if you are interested?

Kind regards
Tim Elkær, V-Lab AAU-CPH - Denmark

Hi Tim,
I was hopeful that this iCloud drive was the missing detail.

But this morning, I was not able to crash Rhino by using your procedure and saving files on to the icloud drive.

So I think it is best to get a video from you.
When you have the video link, please send it to mary@mcneel.com.
I also would like a file with your system information.
You may have provided it for Dan, but I can not find it in the thread.

Thanks again for your help.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

I tried these steps as well on iCloud Drive and I was unable to crash Rhino 5.4 for Mac.

Please navigate to Rhinoceros > About Rhinoceros > More info… > Copy to clipboard and paste the content back into a reply here.

Hi Dan

I mailed that information to Mary Ann earlier today. I’m OK if you choose to “close” this ticket, since I can easily use my work-around to avoid the problem myself. If (however) you are interested, I might try to “reproduce” the problem on one of my students Mac Books?

Kind regards - and thanks for all the fish…
Looking forward to “Named Position” soon.

In London (a couple of years ago to StF), we talked about getting access to both “Named Views” AND “Named Positions” in iOS also.

Kind regards
Tim Elkær, V-Lab AAU-CPH

Thanks again Tim for providing all the information. We’ve got it logged and we’ll keep an eye out to see if this happens again.

Ah, yes. I remember now. I still haven’t gotten to Named Positions on iOS (so many things I’ve yet to get to in iRhino 3D…sigh).