Rhino Autosave didn't work

Hi guys,

I’ve got Autosave activated in my Options/ Files tab and when Rhino crashed this afternoon the only Autosave file in the specified folder was from April 1st. Clearly the Autosave feature didn’t work. Anything I can do? Have there been other reports?

Here is my System Info:

Rhino 6 SR14 2019-4-16 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19106.18421, Git hash:master @ f05ebc98a63bb79de33e0ba2cafc4fe30ca8cf4d)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-04-16
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Cosmas Demetriou ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-7SR0TFT

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 (NVidia) Memory: 5GB, Driver date: 3-17-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.67

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-17-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1967
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 5 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 6.14.19106.18421
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Take a look in your Windows Recycle Bin.
Rhino V6 moves Autosave files there instead of actually deleting them.

Any luck?

2 Likes

That’s interesting, John. I see one file from a crash that happened yesterday but nothing from today.

Thomas -

Hi ! I had the exact same problem, with similar “success”.

SO- lacking necessary support help, I put a link to my “AutoSAVE” folder on my desktop, and every time I suffer another “Mystery Crash” I go straight THERE.

I DO NOT reopen RH-6 (or RH-5, either) . I go STRAIGHT there, and see if the last thing there is CLOSE to where I left off at CRASH time. Its almost NEVER the LAST thing I was doing before crashing, despite the function descriptions provided, but I can ALMOST ALWAYS find something CLOSE

Best I can GUESS (minus “expert” support) is that RH decides to “clean out” at next start-up and permanently deletes everything EXCEPT what IT thinks is the “last file” which it moves to the recycle bin. Almost ALWAYS that file is corrupted tho, so that’s almost NEVER an effective RH Bandaid.

SO- DO NOT restart RHINO- try going STRAIGHT to the AutoSAVE folder YOURSELF and see what’s there before you reload your rhino. Try grabbing the latest 2 or 3 items in the list , move them SOMEWHERE ELSE and open them DIRECTLY in RHINO. This was a successful workaround to the AutoSAVE provided by RH, and I am about 80% successful with it.

Good LUCK !

-C.

Oh, mannnnn, thank you @cfee. I appreciate the detailed workaround. It is worrisome though that there would be absolutely no file there.

So it does appear to be working - the main problem as often discussed here is most people do not understand how the autosave function is designed to work in Rhino.

What it is:
An emergency save in case of a Rhino crash in the file you are currently working on.

What is is not:
A substitute for regularly saving the file using the normal Save command.

So the question is - when was the last time you saved your file before Rhino crashed?

Here’s how it works:
When Autosave kicks in, it saves the file to the directory specified under Options>Files. If the file has been previously saved, it will have a unique name like filename (263748) RhinoAutosave.3dm

If the file has not been previously saved, the name will always be RhinoAutosave.3dm. If you have several instances of Rhino open and you haven’t saved any, each one will overwrite the this file… So save your file first!!!

The other important part is knowing which directory the autosave file is saved in - it may be confusing. By default it is saved here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\AutoSave.

Note that this is not the same directory path where all the other Rhino user data is stored :

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0

Autosave goes to “Local”, all the other stuff is in "Roaming".

If you close the file or quit Rhino (with or without saving), the autosave file that is associated with it is moved to the recycle bin. So if you have saved the original file at least once, you should find it there.

If you did not save your file, the RhinoAutosave.3dm file will stay in the directory, to be overwritten by the next instance of Rhino when autosaving an unnamed file.

However, all that being said, I repeat - Autosave is not a substitute for poking the Save button from time to time. It’s 0.5 seconds of good insurance.

Note that all of this concerns Windows users only. Mac users get their files saved continuously by the OS, which is mostly a good thing, but has it’s own set of problems associated with it.

1 Like

Rhino crashed at about 11:50, but the autosave file it saved ( created, as it happens, at 11:50) in the Autosave folder is corrupted and opens with error messages and no objects. (the error message is inserted below.) It also had a .3dm.tmp suffix which I changed to .3dm in order to even get it to open. I assume Rhino crashed while autosaving and corrupted the file. There should be another few autosaves from this session in the autosave folder or in trash but there aren’t. (The interval’s set for 20 minutes and it’s been a couple of hours).

Every so often I notice that Rhino hasn’t autosaved after much more than 20 minutes despite being set for that interval. Is there something the user may inadvertently do which defeats the autosave? I believe one such thing may be editing a block?

ErrorMsgwAutosavedFile

Hello- any time you save, you resest the timer, is one way.

-Pascal

Which eliminates autosave’s purpose.

If there’s anything else we should know about, please let us know.

Oops didn’t think the first reply went through.