Rhino 7 hardware requirements

I was asked to consult regarding the purchase of new computers at a company I have trained in Rhino
They have been offered the DELL latitude 5410 as a suggestion from their computer provider, a computer that has an Intel UHD graphics card (I7 1,8-2,3Ghz, 16Gb ram).
I have tested the computer and it handles relatively large files including pointclouds and scanned objects as well as files with many linked blocks well.
I have read on several pages including McNeel’s website that Intel graphics are NOT recommended but most of these recommendations apply to Rhino 5.
Are there any recent tests on the latest Intel Gpu with rhino 7?
The company have a plan to run heavy files via a VDI solution but wants a computer that handle rhino well alone.
Should I warn them about this suggested laptop?
Comments?

This might help-- System requirements here

Thanks Fred_C but Ive already read that and this threads;
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/rhino5videocards

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/videocards

/F

1 Like

Suggest more searching then.

Kyle has some info:

1 Like

Those integrated graphics are…3 years old now? Sure the more recent Intel video might “work okay” for certain definitions of “work,” but they’re still woeful compared to virtually any discrete option. It’s not a CAD-oriented laptop at all, just a generic “business” machine.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply! We just discovered a strange behavior with the test laptop. It can’t display rendered or arctic mode in the viewport. When we tried to change the settings for the modes the view became corrupted to some kind of ghosted wireframe mode and will not reset until restart of rhino. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the GPU but its for sure suspicious .
So Intel GPU seems to be a bad choice…

words to look for are “workstation” or “mobile workstation

“laptop” or “desktop” typically (but not always) refer to consumer based machines intended for light duty or 2d work… “workstation” typically refers to a pro-class machine with the proper hardware to do heavy lifting in the 3d world.

fwiw- I personally use BOXX machines and have another from Titan USA which have served me very well. (this is not a mcneel endorsement, just my personal preference for what I run here and have run for my previous consultancy)

I buy the state of the art machines, spend a ton of money on them and then use them for 6-7 years. (my last boxx is still running great 7 years later, my current titan is on it’s 3rd trouble free year under massive use and abuse.) The ROI works out to be in the thousands of percent over the life of the machine. So any painful upfront costs are massively offset by the speed gains and long service life of a well built machine.

Yes I know you can build one cheaper. I cannot, and need anvil like reliability and warranties if anything fails, so that’s what I pay for, you are welcome to take from that what you may.

2 Likes