Rhino 7 can't open after Windows update

After my most recent Windows update, when I try to open Rhino 7 I get a popup from NVIDIA OpenGL Driver that says “A TDR has been detected. The application must close. Error code: 7”

Last time this happened to me I ended up rolling back the update and it worked again, but this time Windows is requiring the update. How can I fix this?

The error message did include a link: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633

If I go to that link, it says:
"What does it mean?

If you received this message from an application (in the Event Log or on a pop up message), the application was unable to continue rendering because the Microsoft Windows imposed time limit (TDR) was exceeded. This is normally the case when the workload sent to the graphics card is greater than what the graphics card can process in the normal alloted time of two seconds.

How can this be fixed?

Two possible solutions to try would be:

1. Reduce the graphics workload if possible, such as by rendering to a lower resolution or by reducing the detail.
  2. Increase the timeout value to allow more time to complete more intensive rendering. Microsoft provides information on how to modify the Windows Registry to achieve this."

I have already tried those suggested solutions but they either did not help or only helped temporarily.

Hello- I would start with a clean install of the nVidia driver, the latest available from the nVidia website.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I just did the clean install of the nVidia driver and unfortunately it did not help. Do you have any other suggestions?

-Sara

Hi Sara, try a ‘repair’ on the Rhino installation - Control panel > Programs and features, find Rhino, right click > Change (or Modify, depending on how you get there) and then Repair.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Amazing! I think that worked. Thank you so much!

-Sara