Rhino 7 and 8 WIP - Cannot get SelChain or chained edge selection to work?

This applies to the latest version of both Rhino 7 and Rhino 8 WIP

To preface this topic, I could have sworn that just a couple of months ago, I could easily select the entire connected border of a face (all of its edges), rather than have to select each one, one-by-one.

For instance, with ChamferEdge, I used to be able to Ctrl+Click or Shift+Ctrl+Click on an edge, and it would select the entire border/face edge associated with it. Now, however, this does not work. I have to manually click on each edge, one-by-one, which is a major pain in the ***.

SelChain also does the same thing. I never used it in the past, but I assume it would automatically select an entire chain of edges, as the name implies. However, this also does not work. It’s no different than ChamferEdge in this case, where I am only able to select one edge at a time.

I have tried Rhino 7, 8 WIP, and also completely erased my settings (deleted /AppData/Roaming/McNeel folder).

Same issue.

Am mis-remembering this as a feature? I remember when I discovered it that it was such an amazing thing to be able to Ctrl+ or Ctrl+Shift-Click an edge and have all the border edges connected to it also auto-selected.