Rhino 6 - Slow save to network location

Is possible to use this also in rh6?
We can save muche time specially in big file.

Marco

Hi Marco - no, this is new in Rhino 7.
-wim

I understand.
But the difference with or without compession specially when you have large file with mesh is impressive!!

Sometime I save the file during coffe break, locally and is a file of 230mb.

Marco

Just to aunderstand.
How long you take to save this file?
It takes more than 2 minutes. What’s wrong?

Rhino 6 last release local ssd

Grazie

Marco

Can you see my file, I’ve uploaded twice.

Marco

Hi Marco - no, there is no file visible here.
If it’s a large file you could try uploading it on this page - make sure to put the URL to this discussion in the comments field.
https://www.rhino3d.com/upload
-wim

I’m Uploading, whith the link at this discourse discussion.
Now I’ve partially resolve removing this option.

rh6 about 20 sec.
rh7 without compression some second.

Marco

Hi Marco - if I understand you correctly, there must be something else going on on your system.
Rhino 6 saves that file in 16 seconds on my C:\ drive with contents indexing turned on.

Or was it the compression option that you turned off?
-wim

On my side, the problem was partially resolved by turning off the disk index.
Now, I too save in rhino 6 in about 16 sec.
The same file in rhino 7 with the advanced compression setting turned off in 3-4sec, a ratio of 1 to 4-5
I would be pleased, since I often work with 1-1.5gb files, that you can also have this option on rhino 6, it would allow me a nice time advantage.

Thanks and happy Sunday.

Another example uploading and linked to this discussion.

Rh6 around 60mb file saving in 25-30 seconds.
Rh7 without compression around 200mb but save in 2-3 seconds.

I think for me, time is more importante than disk space.

Regards

Marco

I’m sending also another big file…

Any feedback?

Marco

Hi Marco - we are looking into backporting the option to turn off compression to Rhino 6 - RH-57344.
-wim

thank you.
For me is a big issue, also today I’d to waiting probably 10-15 minutes to 407mb of file, instead of 5-8 seconds for a 446mb of rhino 7 with no compression.

Another things, why when rhino create a visualizzation mesh, and then I’m waiting only 50% of proc. is working?

Regard

Marco

When you think this option sill be aivalable for us?

Marco

Hi Marco - the fix is introduced and tested in 6.25 which will be available as a “Service Release Candidate” when 6.24 is released as a finished Service Release. That should be in 2 - 3 weeks from now if all goes well.
-wim

Ok, thank you.
What about the cpu percentage during meshing? Is normal?

Marco

RH-57344 is fixed in the latest Service Release Candidate

I’m also seeing the slow network save over VPN (important now since many are in a home office).

Interestingly, I measured a few different pieces of software, all with files 50-300mb in size:

• Blender - (.blend file save) 1.5mbps
  • Blender - (.glb export) 80mbps
  • 3D Studio Max - 80mbps
  • Rhino - 4mbps
  • Siemens NX - (reading, a lot of waiting and then bursts of) 80mbps

(Copying a file to the network via Windows Explorer is also 80mbps.)

Sorry for reviving this topic, but I was having the same issue as OP, but with Rhino 7. I emailed Rhino Customer Support, and they indicated that there is a setting that allows Rhino to save to a local temp file then push to the network location. This is working quite well for me.

Options > Advanced: Rhino.Options.FileSettings.WriteLocalTempFileWhenSaving = True

1 Like