Rhino 6 crashes with vray next

Good evening,

I’m desperate. I purchased one month ago Rhinoceros 6 ( educutional ) and vray next.
Almost every time I launch a render it crashes, ( both vray and rhino ). I tried all the possible settings,
CPU, GPU, BOTH. Both with basic and complex renderings. What can I do?

These are the specs:

Rhino 6 SR14 2019-4-28 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19118.15561, Git hash:master @ 8f0a84997c310a7ec1a42cf2704da8daa33e3e21)
License type: Educational, build 2019-04-28
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Davide D’Ambrogio ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DADOSPC

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 8-15-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 12-4-2017 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 388.57

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-4-2017
Driver Version: 23.21.13.8857
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19118.15561
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thank you in advance!

Davide

It’s most likely your video drivers, especially the nvidia. Download the current one from:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/find.aspx

Thank you for the quick response. I prontly updated the driver to the latest version. After two render trials the tird one crashed anyway. Apparently that was not the problem! :frowning:

What else could it be?

Try to render to .vrimg without preview (not sure if that is an option in next) and see if the problem persists. Just to rule out the video card (which I think is most likely the cause of the issue)

Few other things to check:
Also try different render modes (like progressive)
Did you build the model and materials from scratch?
Does it crash also when no materials are added?
Does your scene have any bad objects?

Probably V-Ray, as it’s crashing when you render. I might contact ChaosGroup support directly and/or post in the V-Ray section of this forum.

I build every 3d model by scratch, it happens every time, also with the most simple one! I’m trying every solution but looks like it’s always crashing, also with no materials…

As Mitch suggested though you should post this in the Vray section of this forum or on Chaos group forum so they will see this

Will do immediately

You also may want to update the driver for your Intel GPU. I have this one also, and this was very crashy with drivers from before October 2018.

Thank you, I just updated the NVIDIA DRIVER, now I’ll update this one as well and let you know!