Rhino 6 crashes when saving

Rhino 6 crashes whenever I import or save. It would generate a crash report and Rhino would not respond.

crash%201

Capture

If you get that again, please fill out your e-mail in the e-mail field and send in the crash report.

Could you also please reply with the results of the Rhino command _SystemInfo?

I sent it already but still no reply.

Here is the systemsinfo:

Rhino 6 SR12 2019-1-29 (Rhino 6, 6.12.19029.6381, Git hash:master @ ae9d7fba5fda0b43002dc44a34e059a9a382db04)
License type: Educational, build 2019-01-29
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: ooo 0000 ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 24Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-IUCD19E

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Radeon RX 580 Series (AMD) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 3-22-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.13507 Compatibility Profile Context 23.20.15033.5003

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel® HD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-28-2018 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50
Driver Date: 3-22-2018
Driver Version: 23.20.15033.5003
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thank you,

I see two crash reports in the system from your machine, but those don’t seem to be happening due to saving a file, but rather for either installing a plug-in or updating render content after an update. Both reports indicate there is a folder access problem. Perhaps make sure you have actually access to all locations necessary.

I don’t further see crash reports related to the saving of a file, so if you could let Rhino crash again, but before you click anything in the crash reporter dialog look on your desktop to see if you can find a bunch of files with the Rhino and Crashdump in the names. Please zip those files and upload at rhino3d.com/upload/?to=nathan@mcneel.com I’ll be notified when your upload is completed.

Once done please also click the Send button in the crash reporter dialog.

Thanks in advance.

where do i find those files

it just crashes when I import or save.

On your Desktop. send at least the file with the extension .dmp, that is the most important one.

edit: I forgot to ask: are you saving to a network location? Or a location that is synced with some cloud storage solution like dropbox, onedrive, google drive or something similar?

I’m saving it to my desktop or usb. I sent the files through "
rhino3d.com/upload/?to=nathan@mcneel.com"
you should get it already. It is zipped with 4 crash files.

Thank you for uploading - I see the RAR file, but didn’t get the notification since you changed the recipient field to your own e-mail address is well. Fortunately that isn’t a problem :slight_smile:

I’ll see what I can find with the crashdump.

The crashdump doesn’t give too much information, but could you please try load-protecting V-Ray plugin and restart Rhino? Does the saving work any better then, or still a problem? Let me know.

If that doesn’t help another thing to try is to update the GPU drivers for both your RX 580 and Intel HD Graphics 630.

the Vray plug in solution doesnt work

How do I update the drivers?

I just did it and it says everything is up to date. I don’t know what is happening there is no way to detect it?

It just crashes sometimes now.

Below is a link to a forum that has the same problem as me but I don’t know if it was solved or not. Is there any way you could find out what’s wrong with his files or anything?

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/crash-in-rhino-6-11/77493/5

Below is a link to a forum that has the same problem as me but I don’t know if it was solved or not. Is there any way you could find out what’s wrong with his files or anything?

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/crash-in-rhino-6-11/77493/5

It just crashes sometimes now.

I just did it and it says everything is up to date. I don’t know what is happening there is no way to detect it?

the Vray plug in solution doesnt work

How do I update the drivers?

nathanletwory

[Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory](https://discourse.mcneel.com/u/nathanletwory)

McNeel

January 31

The crashdump doesn’t give too much information, but could you please try load-protecting V-Ray plugin and restart Rhino? Does the saving work any better then, or still a problem? Let me know.

If that doesn’t help another thing to try is to update the GPU drivers for both your RX 580 and Intel HD Graphics 630.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

It could save as Rhino 5 but not Rhino 6 for some reason.

I’m not sure what is the cause, but I have logged this in our bug tracker system here: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-50622

Hello,

You mentioned above that you tried updating drivers and it said everything was up to date. How did you go about that? The reason I ask is I see a driver update for your card as recent as a week ago. See https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580 Is that the driver you have installed now for your primary display? Intel (your secondary display) also has a recent driver update from January 17, 2019. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28515/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10

I mentioned the drivers above because when I looked at the crash dump file you sent in it looked like it could be graphics driver related. The debugger told me that the line of code in the thread where the crash supposedly occurred was:

gdi32.dll!DxTrimWnfCallback()	Unknown

Can you please try updating with the links above and then send another systeminfo so we can see that the drivers actually got updated ok?

Tim

i tried updating it but it said the drivers were the lastest already

Are you using Windows Update to check? Windows update won’t handle display drivers.