Rhino 6 & 7 keep making my whole computer freeze

Nope, I usually only have one window open, and the freezing happens during very simple operations like panning around a viewport (in shaded mode) or trimming a simple object, for instance. Rhino made my computer freeze up two times just last night, so if there are any quick solutions I can try that would be super helpful!

OK, thanks - if you could dig up the exact model of your machine, that might help some - I was unable to find

so far, only 8GB. Can you post the full model number (or specs if available) if that is not it?

-Pascal

@aka2021 - the developer says that we need a dump file - what has to happen is that Rhino crashes or hangs but not Windows. (BTW, just in case, new machines are often in need of updates, so, if you have not, make sure to get all available Windows updates).
I realize this is not usually what is happening but if you get a Rhino crash, with the crash dump UI, but still can interact with Windows, please send that in, BUT before you do, while the Rhino crash report UI is still up, go to your desktop and find the

RhinoCrashDump.dmp

file, zip it up and send it to tech@mcneel.com. If that file is huge, upload to www.rhino3d.com/upload to my attention.

If there is no crash report UI but you can interact with Windows, please open windows taskManager, find the Rhino process , right click and choose Create dump file

Then zip and send the result - it will tell you where it puts it, in the temp folder I think.

Without a dump file it is hard to know what to do to help.

thanks,

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks Pascal, I have submitted the file!

Oh, great, thanks! I see the file.

-Pascal

@aka2021 - thanks for the file, but, unfortunately, the process of creating the dumb has to take place when Rhino is crashing, (but Windows still accessible) in order to tell us anything. It looks like you created a dump file when Rhino was just open and behaving itself, correct?

-Pascal

yes, unfortunately when it did crash there was no way for me to create a dump file :frowning: would just sending you the actual file help maybe? i can try again but when it crashed a few minutes ago i wasn’t able to access task manager at all

Hi - I’m having what looks to be the same issue but on a mac. Basically unable to use rhino at all at this point, scrolling within materials, panning on a shaded model, or even trying to adjust render settings makes the whole program freeze even if left overnight without resolution. Hope there is some kind of solution!

Hi Pascal, I tried again a couple more times yesterday but there really seems to be no way to get a crash dump file since the whole computer just totally freezes up. Please let me know if there is anything else I can try.

Hello - please run SystemInfo in Rhino and post the results.

-Pascal

@aka2021 - from what we can tell so far, which is not much, the developer I checked with thinks this is a hardware/configuration problem - I’ll try to paraphrase his comments & questions here -
Rhino does push the system pretty hard at times, but an application cannot, itself, crash Windows, so it is worth knowing if the hardware is showing signs of being pushed - fans coming on, for example. Does the problem occur right away, or does it have to work for a while before crapping out, and if so, again are there signs of the machine working hard, fans, heat?

A test:
Load a model…
Maximize the Perspective viewport…
Set the display mode to Shaded…
Run _Turntable command…
Sit there and watch to see if/when things stop working… paying attention to any fans kicking on and monitor the overall heat (underside of the laptop).
Note: This will also show that Rhino is clearly working, doing the same thing over and over again, but eventually the computer freezes up. In other words… Rhino isn’t doing anything different from one frame to the next, and yet the computer ends up freezing. Now, if the computer never freezes, then perhaps it’s not just the Shaded mode - We may need to try this experiment again with Rendered mode + materials

-Pascal

Okay, I will try that later! Also-- I was able to generate a crash dump file when Rhino had a “Not Responding” message briefly-- should I send that one? I don’t know if it’s the exact same issue but maybe it will help.

In regards to computer fans-- when the freezing happens, the fans are not loud nor is the computer overheating. The machine itself seems fine, the screen is just stuck and I can’t move my mouse or anything.

Thanks for the details - yes, please send that dump file, it may be useful.

-Pascal

Having the exact same problems as mentioned already, rhino causes my laptop to freeze completely within 5 minutes of working maybe. it renders my keyboard, mouse and touchscreen unresponsive. This can happen whilst drawing a line, trimming or even adjusting my view.

my systeminfo:

Rhino 7 SR4 2021-3-19 (Rhino 7, 7.4.21078.01001, Git hash:master @ a432d22ab7f0f7b53d157d578278070c8bf6eff4)
License type: Evaluation, build 2021-03-19
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2021-04-16

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [45% battery remaining]

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-18-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9316
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 - Build 27.20.100.9316
Driver Date: 2-18-2021
Driver Version: 27.20.100.9316
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.4.21078.1001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”