Rhino 5 with Rhino 6 license

Can we continue using Rhino 5 with an upgraded Rhino 6 license or there needs to be separate licenses on Zoo for Rhino 5 and 6?

2 Likes

Any answer? @John_Brock could you help?

Best regards,
Nathan

I am assuming this is a “LAN / WAN Zoo” question and change category accordingly.

There was a recent discussion about Rhino 5 checking out a “RH5 - upgrade RH6” license that perhaps answers your question. If not, please provide a bit more information.

Hi Wim,

Yeah looking at the post you mentioned it looks like the “RH5 - upgrade RH6” license can be used for both RH5 and RH6. It is not explicitly said but it seems to be the case.

Nathan

There seems to be a dual R5/R6 license per that post that I cannot find documentation for.

It’s not a dual license, it’s a v5 license that was upgraded to v6. RH5 can still use the license, but so can RH6. It’s a single license and can only be used on one machine at a time.

When you upgrade from V5, you get a new V6 license.
If you are using LAN Zoo 6, and add your V6 license, it will for a “Cluster” in the Zoo that contains both the V5 and V6 license that upgraded it.
Any computer on the LAN can use the V5 OR the V6 license but not both. This keeps you compliant with the EULA. You can have as many license “clusters” in your LAN Zoo as you own and can run any combination of V5 and V6.
The exception is if you launch a V6 AND a V5, then you will get the V5 from the cluster you are already using. Your single workstation would not be using 2 separate licenses.

Here’s a screenshot of my Zoo 6 with a Rhino license cluster and the V5 license in use. There also is a Flamingo license cluster.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

Hi @John_Brock
I have a customer who’s zoo always hands out the upgraded v5->v6 licenses first.
Even though the user only has a new V6 installed, which is a problem when “V5 users” logs on late (They use plugins who isn’t updated and or approved for production yet) as they can only get a pure V6 licenses.

How can this be handled so a computer with ONLY V6 installed doesn’t grab a v5-v6 license?

Hi Holo,
this seems to be similar to

except in my case, an R5 might block an upgraded R5/R6 license. My temporary work-around is to check out the R6 license.

1 Like

In a parallel situation, I have a school client who has 1 Rhino/Mac Edu lab license plus 1 Rhino/Windows Edu lab license in a local Zoo. They want to upgrade both to V6. The question is if a V6 Windows machine grabs a license from the Zoo, will it always grab the upgraded Windows license? Because if it indiscriminately grabs the ones that are linked to Mac Rhino, that might restrict the number of Mac (V5) users to less than the 30 total that they should have…

Hi, I had the same issue recently, my solution was to create a second zoo server on another computer. If a computer never needs the V6 it will target a RH5 only zoo, else it will target a RH5+RH6 zoo.
I guess it could also be done with two small virtual machines instead of physical ones

2 Likes

I don’t like situations where we need to teach users to use “creative” workarounds.

@dale
How is the internal discussion coming along? Any solutions after two months?
Personally I think both a full version and an upgraded version should qualify to open a V5 licesense, since the customer obviously owns at least one upgraded version and then it should not matter what machine it is installed on. And then it becomes the zoo’s job to keep track of the number of total licenses in total.

And keep it simple! a v5 license should be handed out when v5 is opened, and “traded in” (internally in the zoo) for a v6 license if v6 is opened too. And any V6 should qualify to open V5, regardless of it being an upgrade or not. Make it simple for the users and they will stay lojal.

1 Like

There is currently no mechanism in Rhino and the LAN Zoo to make this possible.
It is on the development list but it has to be thought through, designed, implemented, tested, and then deployed.

“Creative” work-arounds are the only alternative now:

• Start V5 first
  • Use the check out license tool
  • Upgrade all the V5s to V6 so you have license parity in the Zoo

Given that your suggestions #1 and #2 above are not possible in a school lab environment -

How will #3 work in my case with 2 V5 lab licenses (1Mac/1PC) if I upgrade them both?

–Mitch

@Helvetosaur
I don’t see a good work-around for your situation.
Sorry.

That’s a pretty difficult answer to give to a client…

I completely agree.
When we added the ability to cluster V5 and V6 licenses, this was a detail we overlooked.
We became aware of it a couple months ago and it will be addressed.
I don’t have anything better to offer.

Well, I might not like the answer, but I thorougly respekt the honesty.
That said, spending months on solving this sounds like it has a too low priority. IMO the main focus should be to keep the customers happy, so I would suggest you make it easy and convinient for them first, ASAP, and then make it correct, so the boss is happy, later.
But thanks for the “workarounds”.

The following might sound like a rant, but it is just my opinion on a better workaround, so please read it accordingly.
I suggest you go for a 4.th workaround and that is that the zoo hands out the extra lisences free to users who has both full versions, upgrades and v5’s installed. THAT is better than suggesting that the allready frustrated users shall shell out even more to work around something you should have solved to begin with.

Keeping customers happy certainly is our overriding priority.
That said, adding this feature to the Zoo is not as important as fixing regressions, crash bugs, and other major problems that are keeping people from getting work done.

I know this issue is painful, and particularly irritating when you aren’t being plagued by these other issues, like your V6 not being able to Save, etc.

As we chew through these problems we have determined are more important, then this Zoo problem gets closer to being “in progress”.

1 Like