RhineGem - gem plug-in

Hello fellow jewelers and maybe rendering enthusiasts,

I am proud to announce the first release of the RhineGem plug-in for Grasshopper:

A plug-in that can create gemstones from almost any curve. It detects kinks and takes them into consideration when distributing the facettes points. This can be useful when a client sends only a top view picture of a gem or you have the certificate only.

Angles can precisely be chosen and a info output helps you getting the right settings, if you need something more precise than the default settings.

The cuts are separated to crown and pavillion part, which allows to mix cuts to e.g. a ceylon cut.

actually possible to create: step cut, brilliant cut.
this means the following shapes are possible by combining with different shapes for fixed expressions: marquise cut, princess cut, emerald cut, brilliant cut, brilliant-like cut, ceylon cut, step cut

also cutters are available and a plane tool to make it as simple as possible to create the shapes and orient them towards a surface.

some preview pictures:

all the shapes above have been created with these couple of elements. except the mixed cut elements, thats just to show mixed cuts are possible.

This is my way of thanking the members of this forum, the great rhino dev team and many kind people having given some coding hints.

The plug-in is in the queue to be checked by a food4rhino admin and should be available on food4rhino.com soon

I am also about to code a ajour cutter function for pavés, I’ll include it here, once the code is a bit cleaner than it is now. still on dev.

Hope this may be helpful for some people

Ben

10 Likes

Amazing! Can it calculate angles of surfaces according to the refraction of different materials?

no, I have no list included yet. it’s a bit more complicated than that, there are many more light effects present in gems than just IOR to have ideal angles.
though, ideal angles for C0,C1,P0,P1,P2 facettes can be looked up and set manually.
an example from a google search.:
index Kopie

for brilliant cuts the angles will be given by table ratio and height ratio that are more common to describe a gem. the kite facette must be planar, so very little modifyable.

1 Like

Assuming you come up with some non-standard shape, how is this actually realized in the industry?

you would find a raw gem or one that is slightly bigger than the shape you need and let recut the gem to the size and shape you wish.

There is a big difference between calibrated gems and non calibrated gems. The non calibrated ones are more common and cut the way that the most of the weight from the raw material is maintained. that often results in unsymetrical shapes. goldsmiths are used to handle them.

So these are manual specifications??? Or are they input into some machine. That’s what I’m really asking.

both are used. sometimes a person cuts them (lapidarian in english i think),

sometimes its machines, when there are excetional raw stones that are scanned in 3d and simulations of different cuts from the raw pieces are done. then its some mighty laser that cuts them. I am pretty sure the super finishing is done manually.

I hope I’m not being too dull-witted, or annoying, but how would a gemcutter use your file?

not at all, I’m sorry if I missunderstood your question.

Normally it goes the other way: you have a gemstone and need to digitalise it to be able to create a design that looks good and the gem will fit in the end.

I think gemcutters could probably design a shape and render it in maxwell to see how the reflection will be.

I think I could include a sheet exporter that would make a standard cutter sheet with the angles in tables.
lapadarians do respect angle propositions without any problem.
IDK if you are familiar with the cutting process, its some kind of semi-manual process:

thank you going to check it out!

1 Like

interesting id love to try this once its released.

1 Like

gave it a go, but i just get broken geometry?

might not be using it correctly?

@chris.botha yes, you do use it correctly…you just made a circle right?

I just updated rhino to 7.11 and absolutely nothing works any more…something went horribly wrong. I’m sorry for your waste of time, I’ll fix that as soon as possible.

1 Like

All good, I am also a coder I know how it goes :wink:

Look forward ot updated version, great job!

1 Like

Hey, it should be fixed now and f4r said it has been updated.
download https://www.food4rhino.com/en/app/rhinegem

I’m really sorry for everyone who has downloaded it for nothing. it should be working correctly now…

Ben

2 Likes

I made such an algorithm for my plugin. :sunglasses:
gem crietor.gh (61.5 KB)

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
IDK why you would repeat the work I’ve already done. There is some serious math behind my plug-in and a lot of analytic work of gemstones. I offered you my c# code and you didn’t answer, but “programmed” the same thing, but in wrong ^^

my algorithm is normal and creates a stone for use in making jewelry in 3d.
all the jeweler needs is the height and bottom of the platform, the thickness of the girdle.
I did not copy your algorithm. ! I did it for a long time.
Why did you make your plug-in to be engaged in cutting precious stones? :grin:
in real life, natural non-standard stones have a curved geometry and platforms do not have good joints.
I have been doing jewelry for more than 10 years and haven’t cut the perfect stones!

if you really want, I am a apprenticeship formed Swiss goldsmith for 21 years now, have worked for high jewelry industy ever since, moved to Geneva, Switzerland and been using Rhino since 2007. Thats four years before you bend your first wire.

it’s for drawing stones, not cutting them.

IDK what you mean by platforms. but I suggest you mean facettes and they cannot be cut differently than planar. else it’s rather useful if you have a certificate only.

I said to you on food 4 rhino: you can have the c# code if you want for your plug-in.
but you did not answer. great if you did this all by yourself. mine its open source, you can’t steal that :slight_smile:

and now please cool down, you’re coming here, agressing me for my work that i give out for free, offer to you that you can use it for your plug in, comparing your grasshopper code to my c#code for absolutely no reason. so whats your goal here?