RH8 - 3 clicks needed to open solid tool (Bug?)

Hi
I have to click 3 times to open a solid tool. Is this a bug ?
1 click : Box tool not opening directly, but opening sub-pallet instead.
2. click: Box tool not opening, but opening sub-sub-pallet instead.
3. click: Box tool opening (i guess no more sub-pallet available :slight_smile:

Same behavior either clicking button-icon or cascading arrow.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini8,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3,2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB

MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1 (23B81)

Version 8 (8.2.23333.09482, 2023-11-29)

The box tool should open directly with one click on the icon - no sub-pallets needed. It does on Windows, so this may be a Mac bug, or, maybe a problem with your system (would need to hear from other V8 Mac Rhino users).

could be ? My system works flawless with RH7, so maybe there is a regression hiding somewhere in RH8 Mac with Mac Intel?

I see so many things not working in RH8 from my end, so I am a bit stunned here…

Simple data point: my Box tool (on an M1 Max 16” MBP) does NOT behave like you show in your video.

thanks for the info :+1:

@ohlers please go to Advanced Settings and search for

Rhino.Options.Settings.CascadeDelay

What is this value set to on your computer?

Thanks, I’m pretty sure that is the reason for the three click behavior you are seeing. We should probably enforce a lower bound on that custom setting.

I would recommend resetting the CascadeDelay setting back to its default value of 400. Do you recall changing this setting?

Yes , i tried setting it lower (experimentally) after experiencing weird behavior with a very delayed cascading of a button: please see video 2 in this post

I see. I would recommend resetting the CascadeDelay to 400. I believe the issue you are seeing in this other post has to do with the amount of time it takes to create and show the popup panel on your computer. This is something I am investigating right now.

I have set the cascade delay back to 400 millisec, and Yes - 3 click issue is gone now, and also Left-Right-click on tool button works.

phew - cool ! thats two very important caveats taken care of :slight_smile:

Thankyou so much !

So … to understand the UI functionality correctly:

left- or right Click - and release on tool button icon - opens tool

To open the sub-pallet, I can either :

click-hold (minimum the delayed time (400 millisec) - release = opens the sub-pallet

OR

click-release - the corner “Cascade” arrow = open the sub-pallet

Is this the correct, intended mouse function ?

I feel like brother Ansgar having to ask such questions ! :rofl:

That sounds like an accurate description of the intended functionality. If isn’t what you expected, let us know and we’ll try to dig in on the problem.

Maybe this would be the right place to mention , how I miss to be able to mouse-click-hold / fly open a sub-pallet, / mouse over a sub-tool, or even fly open another sub-sub pallet / and open a tool on mouse release.

I keep hearing that this is no longer possible, due to a problems with the ETO.
Is this true ?