Replace current SSD drive with larger one

trust you guys so wanted to check before I buy

I currently have a Kingston 120G SV300S37A which is at 95% and has windows installed.

Want to replace with 480GB, looked at PNY as this comes with ACRONIS true image… looks straight forward enough…

thoughts??

I did this awhile back with a Crucial SSD that also “came with” Acronis, the transfer worked fine. However, despite all the info which indicated that Acronis was free, finally it wasn’t. The license key that was in the box would not validate the downloaded version, I contacted Acronis support - which by the way, was some of the worst support experience I have ever had - and they said:

During our chat conversation, I informed you that Acronis True Image that came along with Crucial is an OEM version and the support for OEM versions of Acronis products is provided by the OEM vendors distributing these products. Acronis True Image 2018 cannot be activated with OEM license. To get support for an OEM version of Acronis product, please contact the hardware manufacturer. (which you can’t) You can also get support for OEM versions through Acronis Knowledge Base (support which doesn’t exist).

In the end, after much discussion I ended up paying for it (around $30 IIRC). :rage:

YMMV… the Acronis software works fine however.

–Mitch

thanks Mitch,
happy with the Crucial hardware? so many different models on the market…

thanks
Rich

It was what my IT colleagues recommended. I think Crucial has a reputation for good quality. I guess you would need to look at some hardware comparison tests to see if one brand is considered better than another by the experts.

I recommend Samsung 860 EVO

Compare performance (better than PNY) and warranty (5 yrs). In Swedish (but thats almost English…)

// Rolf

In our Finland office we’ve used [CloneZilla[(https://clonezilla.org/) with 100% success rate.

@RIL I agree. I find the Samsung drives excellent, especially the 500gb size, which I think at the time I researched were the sweet spot for size and speed. MIne are a bit old now as they are 850`s. I have had two in my MacBook Pro for a few years now and love it.