SSD difference between PCIe 4.0 and 3.0

Hi all,

just wondering if the real-life difference between PCIe 3 and 4 is noticeable when working in Rhino and rendering in V-ray? Other programs that are being used are Photoshop, Illustrator…

Also since I have a MOBO that supports one PCIe 4.0 x4 and one PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, my question would be where to store what files as well on which SSD to run OS and the programs and which ones to use for working files etc.

Currently having everything on a an ADATA XPG SX8200 1TB, but thinking of adding a Samsung 980 PRO 2TB.

Config would be 5800x + 3090 FE and 32gb RAM

The only difference you might feel between the SX8200 and the 980Pro does not relate to Gen3 vs Gen 4 but to the higher IOPS performance of the 980Pro. Faster with small 4k files. Also better sustained read write performance, though this only is important if you often transfer huge sets of data, like when you do video editing.

Would there be even a difference on which drive I would have my OS and the programs or I could just buy another SX8200 or Evo Plus and save the difference to the 980 Pro.

Going from a hard drive to SSD gives a huge noticeable difference, going from SATA to NVMe gives…eh not really much of a perceptible difference even though it’s “way” faster. Once you’re into that class of drives the differences are imperceptible unless your job is to move terabytes back and forth, with a stopwatch.

I see, so it’s more or less about the transfer of data and the differences cannot be observed regarding where the OS or programs.

I’ll probably save myself €80 and go with the SX8200 2TB instead of going with the OEM 980 Pro 2 TB.