Reparametrize Grid or Surface ? (Paneling Tools)

Hi, i got stuckt to reparametrize this grid… any suggestions?
The cells dont have the same distance. The main Surface is a degree 3, but shouldnt matter, isnt it?

Cell%20distance

If there is a wish, i can upload the script.
Thanks!

Yeas please upload the script

Knob-Pattern_RF_03_2.gh (10.0 KB) Knob-Pattern_RF_02.3dm (102.2 KB)

It looks like you are applying a grid to an even surface all around so this should be quite easy. It looks like your problem is that the grid is starting from the bottom and has a remainder on the top.

What you need to do is set a domain for your grid size that is based on the length of a cross section curve of your surface. (length from bottom rim to top rim along the surface). Meaning lets say the curve is 50 inches, and you want 10 inch squares, the domain should be 10 in x and 10 in y.
You basically grab the length of the curve, divide it by how many panels you want, and that indicates your domain, which is the size of the panel.

I would strongly recommend looking at some grasshopper surface paneling tutorials, or getting a grasshopper book like Arturo Tedeschi’s which gives you a great intro into surface panelization.

Goodluck!
M

Thank you! I will try the domain-thing!
Thats my second GH-Script btw. :wink: I have all the books(David Bachman & AAD) btw. but dont get it still.

1 Like

Couldnt get it right yet. :frowning:
Would you have a better explanation for me please?

149 157 227
check out these pages on AAD book. Use the subsrf component with the divide domain.

Enjoy!

Thank you! But i went through all of this… and i still got this issue!?
(Btw- i want to solve it as NURBS, not Poly)

@rajaa …maybe you can help me?

@design15
From the file you sent and the script, you seem to be getting equal distances.

In general, dividing a surface by domain is sensitive to the parameterization of the surface and generally produce uneven spacing across the domain. Most of the time this can be mitigated if create a surface from evenly parameterized curves (such as lines and arcs). If this is not an option, you should use a routine or components that divide the domain evenly such as ptSrfDomLen component in PT. In the latter, you will have the end panels a little smaller in most cases unless you calculate the distances.
I hope this helps

Thanks Rajaa for the explanation. So i got the script right, but its not the result as it should look like?! Is it then a bug or can you explain it somehow?
Is there a other way around maybe?

I would divide by domain distance as in the attached
EqualDomainDistances.gh (14.3 KB)

1 Like

Thank you Rajaa! Your way works better with less functions. I appreciate your help!

1 Like