Render for Rhino for MAC?

What is the rendering solution recommended by McNeel to run with Rhino for MAC?

1 Like

Rhino render… :smile:

1 Like

We don’t recommend any 3rd party rendering solutions over any other. In fact, we don’t recommend our own rendering solutions over any 3rd party’s either.

2 Likes

?
So if I understand you are going to launch on the market a 3D software for design on MAC without internal rendering solution?
Do you know if Luxion has planned to deliver a plug-on for their MAC version of Keyshot?

Rhino render is included in Rhino for Mac.

I’m not sure how I managed to imply that.

Plug-ins are not possible yet (AFAIK) because the Mac Rhino SDK has not been released yet - thus third party developers have nothing to build against. (correct me if I’m wrong)

–Mitch

You’re close to right. :wink:

1 Like

RhinoCOMMON allows users to make plug-in (.rhp) in C# into Rhino for MAC, no?
Correct me if I’m wrong.

What is the status of Rhino SDK and RhinoCOMMON with new Visual Studio Code wich allows to run on LINUX and MAC OSX all VS C++ and C# plug-ins?

Rhino Render as Mitch said will be the render engine installed with Rhino for Mac. The two stand alone products that I’d suggest trying are Maxwell Render and Keyshot which both have OSX versions. You’d just need to transfer your model in 3dm or obj formats to each. I’m betting there will be a bunch of rendering plugins available in time that work directly inside Rhino but I don’t know the specifics on SDK status. @dale may be able to say more.

Thanks Brian.
I know very well Keyshot since V1.
CADLINK is the alone Luxion Silver Reseller in France :wink:
https://www.keyshot.com/locate-resellers/

My question was about the LiveUpdate plug-in of Luxion into Rhino for MAC.
More useful and efficient than .obj export.

Luxion’s LiveLinking technology takes the KeyShot plugin to the next level. With LiveLinking, your modeling application and KeyShot are connected. With it, you can continue to work in the 3D modeling application after the initial transfer to KeyShot. At any point in time you can update your designs in KeyShot with the simple push of a button. Only the changed parts and layers will be transferred to KeyShot, without the loss of any materials, animations, lighting nor camera setup. Simply put, everything will be maintained. Do this today, tomorrow or next week. All you do is open your model in the 3D modeling software and the scene in KeyShot – and you are live linked!

I have been using FluidRay RT for the last 8 months on OS X & with WinRhino. Uses .3dm files, no need to convert to OBJ and I have been enjoying the ease of use. The node based usage is very similar to grasshopper, so that helps.

Thanks rhinorudi. You are right. We have to consider FluidRay RT for Rhino for MAC for the small budget.
KeyShot is powerfull and efficient but expensive especially for high resolution images : more than 1600 USD :frowning:
Personally I think Maxwell is too complex to use and too slow for the majority of the designers.

@Cadlink finally did a proposal to my boss to purchase 4 licenses here at work. We have 2 people on MacRhino and 2 on WinRhino. We are using Flamingo right now, but that leave 2 of us out in the dark. I have good response from the FluidRay team with any issues and help when needed. Keyshot was our other option, but 1600 x4 vs 350 x 4 and I find FluidRay comparable to Keyshot in quality & ease of use.

All the best and maybe see you on the FluidRay Discourse forum. :smile:

For the small budjets on RhinoWIN we sell Arion for Rhino : 795 USD and no limitations.
http://www.randomcontrol.com/arion-for-rhinoceros
Completely integrated into Rhino V5 and, from our point of view, more easy to use than FluidRay.
Very robust and better GPU-CUDA support than FluidRay RT when we compared them one year ago. I know that FluidRay has improved his software since one year but Arion4Rhino also …
Arion4Rhino is now the integrated rendering solution of RhinoGOLD which is in Europe and Asia the most popular plug-in in jewelry design. We have a lot of jewelers in our customers. We are in Paris, France :wink:
Good support also from developpers.

Merci @Cadlink , we also looked at Arion but it is Windows only. We also went with FluidRay because the 2 iMac’s video cards are not very good, so GPU was not really an option. We do have RhinoGold 3, but I rarely use it, and as a jewellery designer I prefer straight Rhino. Bonne Journée

Some rendering made with Arion into RhinoGOLD 5 :wink:
http://www.rhinogold.fr/arion-le-nouveau-moteur-de-rendu-de-rhinogold-v5/

They look great, but since Arion & rhinoGold are Windows only, we cannot use them. But I will keep that in mind for when a Mac SDK is released and we start to get plug-ins.

I’ve been using Blender’s Cycles. Export as OBJ, I’ve got a default project in Blender set up with null objects to group the OBJ’s imported groups to.

It renders pretty quickly (I have a pair of GTX 970’s in my Rhino box and a second box with another pair of GTX 970’s as a render slave) and has excellent control over the render process. I do multi pass rendering (all the transparent / translucent stuff on one layer, the hard surface stuff on another, and the background stuff on a 3rd, which allows for differing numbers of samples per render layer, and have a preset post render compositing setup that even allows for layer by layer color correction. That’s all set up into my startup project, so for the most part I just export the rhino model as OBJ, import to a new file in blender based off my startup file, assign the various groups to the parents and set the layers and hit go.

I’d like to make a couple of clarifications about FluidRay RT:

• FluidRay RT doesn’t require a GPU at all, it works on any video cards, supporting Cuda or not. Here is why: http://www.fluidray.com/why-no-gpu/
  • For $349, you get FluidRay RT standalone and the integration plugins for Rhino, SketchUp and Shade 3D for free.