Render Content Name Conflict

On Windows, the setting is stored in the registry. If you want to change it:

• Run regedit.exe.
  • Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain
  • Add a new string value called rdk.RenderContentNameConflictDialog
  • Set the value to NO

Perhaps easier would be to copy the following text to a file called TEMP.REG and then open that file, which will have Windows add the key to the registry automatically.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain]
"rdk.RenderContentNameConflictDialog"="NO"

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any problems.

John

thanks, yeah, never would have found that, was looking in reg rhino sections.

hi @johnc,

This dialog is one of the most annoying things here in Rhino right now, we must be seeing it 100s times a day, with several clicks to make it go away. We basically 99% of the time want to Auto-Rename all.
Now, even if this is switched on as Radiobutton, we still need to check the box ā€œdo it for all conflictsā€, then click ā€œAuto-Renameā€ buttonā€¦

NameConflict

At minimum, it would be helpful to make this checkbox sticky.
Even better, since you offer an option to forget this dialog and always keep existing, how about the option to always Auto-Rename?

Or ā€˜always for current sessionā€™ (Iā€™m OK clicking this dialog 2-3 times a day). Somehow making it go away forever has a potential to unintentionally mess things up, thatā€™s why I like the per session option. But in general, we need a way to make Auto-Rename All stick.

Hope you can consider improving this little dialog, it would save a lot of time and extra clicks.

thank you,

ā€“jarek

Hi @Jarek

Iā€™m sorry this dialog is causing you so much pain. Iā€™d be happy to look into improving it some more. Thanks for your suggestions. Iā€™ll look at it during the coming week.

Regards,

John

1 Like

hi John,

thank you , I appreciate you looking into that!

ā€“jarek

I have filed this bug report: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-50817

hi @johnc

the new dialog works like a charm and is exactly what it should be I think.
Thank you for making this much more streamlined process. Looking forward to not seeing this dialog more than once per session!

ā€“jarek

@jarek Iā€™m glad itā€™s working for you. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

The current version seems to have eliminated this dialog box altogether. Is this true?
In my workflow I like to keep the original material, but Iā€™m not sure how to do this now since the dialog box no longer appears for me and automatically renames the materials. Is there a way to get the dialog box back?

-Karl

Hi Karl - I canā€™t seem to get that dialog box to show either. Iā€™ve tried ResetMessageBoxes but that doesnā€™t help. @johnc any tips? Iā€™m using the files attached to RH-50817 to test this.
-wim

@wim, This is the issue that removed the dialog box.

RH-50907 RDK: Remove name conflict dialog and auto-rename conflicting items

Thanks, @KelvinC!
@karl_kachele, that means that the original materials are kept with the original names and that conflicting materials from files that are imported are renamed. Is that not what you are seeing?
-wim

@KelvinC Thanks! I saw the issue RH-50907, but was hoping there is a way to change the setting.
@wim Yes, that is what I am seeing. However in my case, I need the original material and the imported material to be the same. In other words, the original material remains, and the imported material is discarded and is replaced by the original material.

In 6.18 there will be a new option which can be toggled by running the command RenderImportRenameConflicting.

This global, persistent setting toggles between two options:

• When importing, conflicting render contents will be discarded, keeping the original.
  • When importing, conflicting render contents will be renamed with [imported] post-fix.

This was added in response to https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-54021

It seems like that bug got closed instead of sent to documentation. I expect @KelvinC will need to document this new command so Iā€™ve set the bug to Needs Doc.

John

3 Likes

@johnc Thank you. My understanding of what youā€™re saying is that, when SR6.18 is released i will be able to toggle on the desired option.

I see that Rhino 6 SR18 Release Candidate 1 6.18 is available for testing, does this release have the solution you are describing? Also, any idea when it will be commercially released?

Thank you!

Hi Karl - that command should be in there, yes.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Karl,

The final release of 6.18 should be on September 24th, but any of the 6.18 release candidates should have the fix.

The release notes for 6.18 RC1 does not mention this command because the bug was not sent for documentation in time. But the new command should be in there, as Pascal said.

John

1 Like

@pascal, @johnc Thank you!

@johnc @pascal
Hi,

following problem with two Rhino tasks - at Task A I have a box with a blue material ā€œAā€ and at the second Rhino task a sphere with a red material with the name ā€œAā€ too. Now I copy the red sphere to the blue box scene and get a new material ā€œA [imported]ā€. But I donā€™t want to get a new material name, I want to keep the blue material of the scene and his name.

Next problem - some times I like to get the scene material updated by the imported materials and keep the original names.

Please bring back the old possibility to choose at a message box between the three cases:

• update scene material by imported material
  • keep scene material and ignore imported material
  • rename imported material

This three options was essential for my daily work. Or is this workflow still possible and I have overseen something?

Best-
Micha

@johnc @pascal

I forget to say the issue is quite critical, since at V-Ray for Rhino the own render material conflict solution is disabled since the last version a few days before and the Rhino mechanism is only used now. And this solution doesnā€™t work. A quick fix would be very appreciated. :wink: