Render Content Name Conflict

Awesome! I’m looking forward to that release. Thank you!!

I’m sorry to hear about the pain this issue is causing. I have a possible workaround which may help until SR7 is released. If you make sure the Environments panel is open before doing any imports, the problem should not occur at all. I hope this helps while you wait for the update.

John

Oh no worries. Bugs are inevitably going to happen with any new software release.

I am having this issue in a current project, SR8. Checking “do this for all name conflicts in this command” (or whatever the precise wording is) doesn’t prevent them from repeating while the project is loading.

I’ve been meaning to reply for a while. I’m still having the issue as well. Another one that pops up is block name conflicts. That isn’t nearly as annoying as having to click through 50-60 (no exaggeration) render content name conflicts on some projects.

Several weeks ago I added a new check box to this dialog: “Always keep the existing item; do not show this again”. This check box should make the dialog go away forever. It can be restored by using the ResetMessageBoxes command. This change is in SR9. More information is here:

John

That’s good, because “Do this for every conflict during this command” has no effect.

It does have an effect when there are multiple conflicts during a single command, for example a single Import. But I didn’t realize that there could be multiple commands inside a script. This is where it has no effect, because the script keeps starting a new command. This is why I added the option to get rid of the dialog forever.

John

John
We’ve been updating our companies multiple licenses to SR9 and this has fixed the multiple popup window issue. Although now, a new one has arisen as a result of this update. A lot of us have the Flamingo plugin and Orca 3D, which we would rather not have enabled with every open model. The new check box, “Always keep the existing item; do not show this again”, that was added to the render content name conflict automatically turns on these plugins. Is there any way to seperate this command from the enabling of plugins?

Hello - that does not seem right… I’ll see what I can find out.
@johnc - is this something in your zone, or… ?

-Pascal

I may have jumped the gun, it happened to me with one model and it messed up my render properties. It’s entirely possible that I accidentally enabled Flamingo. Opening other models, I do still receive the “Rhinoceros 6 Load Plug-In” screen.

Hi Ncruz,

I’ve been puzzling over how this could happen. The ‘Don’t show this again’ thing is just a marker in the registry that is checked before displaying the dialog. It doesn’t (or shouldn’t) do anything with plug-ins. Has the problem stopped now?

John

where is that setting stored? Like to set that for our customers to avoid the render conflict dialog

On Windows, the setting is stored in the registry. If you want to change it:

• Run regedit.exe.
  • Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain
  • Add a new string value called rdk.RenderContentNameConflictDialog
  • Set the value to NO

Perhaps easier would be to copy the following text to a file called TEMP.REG and then open that file, which will have Windows add the key to the registry automatically.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain]
"rdk.RenderContentNameConflictDialog"="NO"

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any problems.

John

thanks, yeah, never would have found that, was looking in reg rhino sections.

hi @johnc,

This dialog is one of the most annoying things here in Rhino right now, we must be seeing it 100s times a day, with several clicks to make it go away. We basically 99% of the time want to Auto-Rename all.
Now, even if this is switched on as Radiobutton, we still need to check the box “do it for all conflicts”, then click “Auto-Rename” button…

NameConflict

At minimum, it would be helpful to make this checkbox sticky.
Even better, since you offer an option to forget this dialog and always keep existing, how about the option to always Auto-Rename?

Or ‘always for current session’ (I’m OK clicking this dialog 2-3 times a day). Somehow making it go away forever has a potential to unintentionally mess things up, that’s why I like the per session option. But in general, we need a way to make Auto-Rename All stick.

Hope you can consider improving this little dialog, it would save a lot of time and extra clicks.

thank you,

–jarek

Hi @Jarek

I’m sorry this dialog is causing you so much pain. I’d be happy to look into improving it some more. Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll look at it during the coming week.

Regards,

John

1 Like

hi John,

thank you , I appreciate you looking into that!

–jarek

I have filed this bug report: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-50817

hi @johnc

the new dialog works like a charm and is exactly what it should be I think.
Thank you for making this much more streamlined process. Looking forward to not seeing this dialog more than once per session!

–jarek