Rebuild UV and Degree

I am finding that RebuildUV will change the degree of my surface without my wish. Is this expected?

It appears to default to degree 3. If I change a surface to degree 5 in a direction, rebuildUV to a lower point count (still more than 6 points) and it becomes degree 3 after the Rebuild.

Yep - sad to say, in this command the rebuild is restricted to degree 3. I believe the underlying code creates a lofted surface, which is degree 3…

-Pascal

Is it an existing wish? It’s not a big issue I guess.

Hello- it is not on the pile that I can see, however, the restriction should be mentioned in Help, I’ll see about that.

RH-59349 Help" RebuildUV - degree 3 only

I think it is a ‘big’ issue in that it may be hard or not possible to allow more control than this - I’ve asked the developer.

-Pascal

Ah yes - I should distinguish that it’s not a big issue to my work, I mean. One of the directions being rebuilt is single span degree 2, so it’s not being altered much at all anyway.

Hi Pascal,

Is this something that ever made it to the pile? Is there a way of doing this?

At the moment, the workaround is just ending up with curves and doing sweeps that create degree 5 surfaces instead from rebuild degree 5 curves. Couldn’t the code do something similar, under the hood?

If you want higher degree, use the Rebuild command. (Rebuild and RebuildUV are different commands.)

Hi @Jonathan_Hutchinson1 you may want to take a look to my request here, and how VSR handles these situations
Shouldn't Rebuild and RebuildUV be integrated?.

The only problem is that you then have to rebuild in the other direction - you might have manipulated points in a specific way, and this will be simplified in addition to the direction you wanted to change. Does that make sense?

Seems to me that the best way of achieving what I need, I think, Is rebuilding rail curves to the degree/count I wanted, then reuse the cross sections as that’s the bit I don’t want to alter.

Here are a couple open issues concerning lofting above degree 3:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-32853
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-59057

If you have cross sections that you want to keep, also try "Lofting" above degree 3