Raytrace crashes new computer with threadripper and 2080ti

Guys, I really need your help…something is off. I got this new computer a couple weeks back and Im not happy with the performance. Given the specs, this is unacceptable. I made some screen recordings rendering in Rhino to show what I mean.

Showing rhino cycles setting using GPU and attempt a raytrace:
https://peterrz.tinytake.com/tt/MzY2NzgwMV8xMTEyNDkzNg

Showing rhino cycles setting changed to CPU and attempt a raytrace:
https://peterrz.tinytake.com/tt/MzY2Nzg2M18xMTEyNTE5Nw

In either case of raytracing above, I had to force quit rhino as it wasnt responding. The file was 300mb and this computer should easily handle it. Something is not right.

And here Im showing rhino rendering using vray next in three different settings: gpu+cpu, cpu only, and gpu only. Note that in GPU only, the GPU utilization in task manager doesn’t move much. CPU seems like it responds. For a 2mb file, this should be much faster than it is rendering in this computer: https://peterrz.tinytake.com/tt/MzY2Nzg4M18xMTEyNTI2NA

Something is off and I need it fixed, as I can’t have this kind of lag/delay in rendering.

Hi @PeterB,

For reference, can you launch Rhino, run SystemInfo, and post the output here?

Thanks,

– Dale

Rhino 6 SR16 2019-7-9 (Rhino 6, 6.16.19190.07001, Git hash:master @ a8b4ee102e9e0eb1d11825df063e13f96d518f93)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-07-09
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Peter ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: PETER-RZ

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 5-22-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.86

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-22-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3086
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 11 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoLabsTools.rhp “Rhino Labs Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\KeyShot8RhinoPlugin (6c7d7caf-b4ba-406d-bfaa-8d719d8212c3)\1.4.0.0\KeyShot8RhinoPlugin\Rhino 5.0\KeyShot8RhinoPlugin.rhp “KeyShot8RhinoPlugin” 1.4.0.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”

@dale I am on vacation, I’ll be back on August 14th.

Until then please check with the help of @brianjames things like

• block instance usage
  • huge amount of objects, especially large amount of uninstanced tiny (little geometry data)
  • large textures possibly combined with decals
  • large amount of (point) lights
  • displacement modifier usage.

From the videos it appears that Raytraced itself isn’t even starting, we are still on the first preparation step before Raytraced gets even the data from @andy s changequeue (an orange hud should signal we have Raytraced actually running and receiving data).

If nothing else please ask @PeterB to share the file with me at rhino3dm.com/upload?to=nathan@mcneel.com . I will look when back from vacation.

Hi @PeterB Thanks for the videos to explain what you’re seeing. I have a very similar system here and can help with a comparison (2950x and RTX 2080). In addition to the questions Nathan asked I have a few more…

• What is the active renderer in the first two videos where you tried Raytraced? Is it Vray or Rhino Renderer (RR)? If Vray, what happens if you switch to RR?

• Does the smaller file used in the last video work with Raytraced mode? If that too doesn’t work, let’s use that file for troubleshooting first. I’ll need to see it.

• What happens if you disable Vray and Keyshot in Options > Plugins and restart Rhino 6? Does this change allow Raytraced to start?

I have an early Vray 4 beta here but nothing current to compare with. I am not sure how they use the GPU but agree with your observation that it seems like the usage should go up. Let’s focus on getting Raytraced running first. Vray issues and questions will likely need to be run by their forum or tech support directly. It’s obviously working but if that is correct speed and usage wise I’m unsure.

Private message me any file here on the forum or use https://www.rhino3d.com/upload and put brian.james@mcneel.com in the recipient field.

Hi Brian,
It was set to rhino render in first two videos for ray trace. Also disabled both vray and keyshot as you asked. And this is a much smaller file (attached for your review). test file.3dm (16.4 MB) I made a new video showing what happens disabling vray and keyshot plugins and using only rhino lights and rhino settings… crash everytime no matter whyat I do. Im running out of hope for rhino. I need this fixed urgently. Watch: peterrz

Here’s another text I just ran on a new rhino file: https://peterrz.tinytake.com/tt/MzY4Nzc4N18xMTIwMjA0NA

@PeterB
There was a similar problem with another software in another forum. The problem was identified with the (SMT) Simultaneous Multi Threading… as AMD calls them… being enabled.
Download Rizen Master from the AMD site https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
and disable SMT

See if it makes any difference.

FYI all, I was able to reproduce the crash and discovered that this occurred when editing lights in the Lights panel while Raytraced mode was running in Rhino 6.16. This is fixed in the Rhino 6.17 release candidate or you can edit lights via the Properties panel > Lights section in 6.16 to avoid the issue.

It seems that the last update may have fixed this issue. Thank you.