Quadro drivers updated - Good news

We are waiting to see if anyone continues to have trouble with the new drivers and settings. At this time it seems to be a substantial improvement. We continue to update the wiki page based on the current information on the this thread. http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/nvidiainfo.

After a few days using the 340.66 driver, my experience is varied. The initial increase in performance was terrific, but after working for a while the graphics seemed to slow down again. So I checked the sphere test and the max speed test changed from 0.8s to 2.8s.

The setting used was ā€˜Workstation App - Dynamic Streamingā€™ with power management set to maximum performance.

The speed improved again after a clean reinstall of the driver, then slowed again after a while.
Sometimes a Rhino reboot fixed it other times not. At one stage I had 2 instances of Rhino open on different screens, both with the sphere test and one had the 0.8s result and the other the 2.8s result.

No other programes were running at the time so in my case it seems a Rhino operation is triggering the slowdown, or something behind the scenes on my computer, anyone else seeing this slowdown?

I changed the setting to ā€˜3D App - Default Global Settingsā€™, with power management set to max performance, after reading @Holo Jorgenā€™s report and the sphere test is now .9s and stable so far so Iā€™ll keep this setting for a bit and try the sphere test periodically.
Edit. I experienced the slowdown again, although a Rhino reboot fixes it.

I am now trying ā€˜Workstation App - Advanced Streamingā€™ set to max performance and the speed is good and stable so far. ( Iā€™m randomly checking the 100 sphere test)

Brian, are you using a laptop or desktop? Do you ā€œHybernateā€ the computer or completely shut it down? Does it ever ā€œgo to sleepā€ and have to be woken up?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Dell T5600 desktop and I shut down each night and if Iā€™m away for a couple of hours. Hybernate is set to 30 minutes and Iā€™ll use the hybernate if Iā€™m going out for a short while, so yes, hybernate kicks in once a day anyway.

Ok, I would be curious if you see things start slowing down after hibernating, or if itā€™s more random.

So if possible, keep a closer eye on that situation.

Thanks,
-J

Hi Jeff

Iā€™ve put the computer to sleep under both settings, Dynamic and Advanced streaming and the speed results were fine - Iā€™ll keep an eye on things and try and pinpoint the trigger.

Great, thanks!

-J

Hi @BrianM , something you could also keep in mind to look for, which I have noticed, is the interaction of other software with your GPU. Iā€™ve noticed that having Firefox open on certain web pages which contain Flash and other content can keep the GPU quite busy, even when minimised, which can take away from the GPU cycles available to Rhino. I expecially noticed that just having the Firefox DOWNLOAD box open consumes a constant 10% from my GPUs power. Internet Explorer probably has other but different GPU interactions depending on the websites that are open and the content of the sites, especially since the Flash plugin has been GPU accellerated for some time now. - Michael VS

Hi Michael,

Iā€™m running Chrome and wondered about itā€™s impact on performance so I tried tests before turning on the web and it doesnā€™t appear to affect performance, although Iā€™ll keep an eye on it. I also wondered about Windows Live Mail, which seems to have a mind of itā€™s own - it sometimes deletes all my emails then downloads them all again and dumps all the deleted emails into the inbox, marks everything as unread and wrecks all my stored filing system, man thatā€™s annoying - anyone know how to fix that?

Iā€™ve been checking the sphere test randomly and things seem to slow down while working on large files, 20 to 160 Mb range currently, and usually after an equally large paste or worksession operation. Iā€™m thinking the speed drop is down to the type of modelling, big complex files with lots going on and Rhino likes a reboot occasionally, after a big work-out.

Iā€™m also wondering if ā€˜IntelĀ® XeonĀ® CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHzā€™ is powerful enough for these fairly large files? Having said all that, Iā€™m happy with the system and the speed drops are not really noticeable, until you see the spheres dragging their heels at 2.8s instead of blazing around at 0.8sā€¦

Edit: @jeff Just discovered RefreshShade on the selected objects in the sphere test solves the speed problem (although the clogging was created in a different file)

I was working on two large files today (350MB+850MB) and Rhino crashs several times with Nvidia OpenGL error. I switched back from Advanced Streaming to Dynamic Streaming again. Now no crashes since a few hours.

Micha -

Did the crash report dialog ask for your email and a comment? What email did you use? I would like to track the crash dumps from this morning.

No, itā€™s not the McNeel error message and the Nvidia one shows an info and a link only.

@scottd
I had the same experience in July last year. I recommended a user to use ā€œWorkstation App - Advanced Streamingā€ to squeeze 25% more performance out from a Quadro FX1700 and then Rhino 5 became very unstable. It crashed randomly.

Sofar I am very happy with the Dynamic Streaming option, and have been using it for the past week with no crashes or freezes or slowdowns. For me this is the most stable and fast option. (PC:Q6000-i73770-16Gb Ram)

is gtx660 better than kxxx video card?

I know this thread is a bit dated, but it sure helped me out, today. One model on which I am working has become quite large. This morning was spent trying to estimate the cost of a new workstation, due to the lag while moving the model.

This system is a Dell M4700, i7, and a K2000Mā€¦ I just downloaded the newest driver, 3.4121, and adjusted the settings in the NVidia control panel, and Rhino. What an amazing difference. This is absolutely awesome! I will be taxing this machine pretty hard over the next few days, and will report any crashesā€¦ But WOW! It really is like a new machine.

Re opening this old one.
I have tried all the settings and my brand new quadro m2000 canā€™t mange my model. the displays lags for many secons in shaded mode and even in wireframe modeā€¦ Seems itā€™s exclty the same as it was with my old nvidia. I also have 2x32gb of ramā€¦ Desperate