QuadRemesh settings for hard shape models

I am testing a relatively new feature the “QuadRemesh” through the grasshopper eponymous “QuadRemesh” component. My goal is to generate a quad mesh base on a Brep so that the hard edges of the Brep will be preserved in the mesh.
If I apply the options “Surface Edges” = Strict and “Guide Curves” = Brep edges it helps partly but the mesh is still far away for targe Brep shape.
Maybe my settings are wrong, or QuadRemesh isn’t about hard models…

The example if don’t use the “Guide Curves” option (baked Brep edges have pink color and with gray is mesh result):

The example with the “Gude Curves”:

Neither result is appropriate
QuadRemesh.gh (203.3 KB)

Hello @Trav maybe you can clarify the question, seeing the Quad Remesh examples it is explicitly possible to make a quad mesh with edges strictly following Brep edges but in my case, I can’t pick up the right settings to get the same result

Set Hard Edges to True

Then increase quad count if necessary.

1 Like

Thank you @Trav it does the thing, using Hard Edges in conjunction with Guide curves is the best choice, but nevertheless, I’m getting unpredictable loop artifacts. Even I crank up Target count to an insane value it doesn’t help solve it

1 Like

This “Hard edges” setting has no effect with my model.

230705_PROG_Not So Hard edges.gh (181.7 KB)

The Rhino tool does slightly better but misses a bunch of obvious hard edges.
My input mesh is un-welded on the those sharp edges ; how can the QuadRemesh miss that ?

Try this:

230705_PROG_subd_from_mesh.gh (187.4 KB)

Thanks ! But I’m still not sure what the “Hard edge” option of the QuadRemesher is supposed to do for me here…

Also ; quick question, I can’t find an “Explode” tool for meshes that would do the same as “Explode” in Rhino : split a mesh into separate meshes along un-welded edges…

The hard edge option pulls the vertices to unwelded edges but your input mesh does not seem to have any unwelded edges.

quad_remesh_hard_edges.gh (10.4 KB)

If I exploded my mesh, you can see it is composed of 11 sub-meshes ; therefore they were not welded together.
Could you tell me how I can explode my mesh like this in Grasshopper ?

“Explode Mesh” just returns all the faces, and “Disjoint mesh” only works if the mesh parts are… disjoint.

Oh boy, I realized I created this topic in 2018 !

And here is the proper component, from the M+ plugin :

230705_PROG_Not So Hard edges Edited V0.gh (366.8 KB)

I always think The QuadRemesher available in Blender and Rhino is the same thing, so I made a comparison.
Are they made by the same provider or just sharing the same name coincidently?

Sorry I was wrong, your mesh does have unwelded edges.

1 Like

I wonder why I got these silly quirks…

230705_MOD_Silly Quirks.3dm (538.1 KB)

In my experience, this tool always provide “good” results, but the few awkward choices that it makes take ages to fix by hand :confused:
There should be an option to systematically have sharp sub-D edges along unwelded mesh edges. That would really make sense.

2 Likes

Thanks for your “unweldedEdgesList” component ; I find it quite useful !

1 Like

OK, I’m getting really frustrated with that QuadRemesh that “Almost” works.
I’m looking into alternatives to getting my (urgent) work done.
Did anybody try “QuadRemesher” from https://exoside.com/ ?
Is it any better ?

@sadovshikov have a look at this post where I propose a solution: Edwin Hernandez on LinkedIn: #rhino3d #gh3d #grasshopper3d #computationaldesign #consulting #aec…

1 Like