QuadRemesh trouble on simple mechanical mesh

Well, I was curious to try it on a strictly mechanical item, so I grabbed a simple file and meshed it with some of my typical mesh export settings… then I ran QuadRemesh on the mesh. I have no idea what the correct settings should be, I tried a few, but in all cases the result was not very nice - full of holes… What kind of settings should I be using in this case? Do I need to run a bunch of guide curves?

Also, one comment - if you are starting with a dense mesh, the Preview is more or less useless, as the original mesh remains highlighted and it’s almost impossible to discern the proposed remesh on top of it. You should make the original disappear temporarily (or almost)…

Valve-Remesh.3dm (1.6 MB)

Try these settings:

I am finding that the Polysurfaces mechanical shapes really do not like the Detect Hard edges checkbox.

2 Likes

I think the same about the Preview. It certainly needs to be done better (maybe with some wireframe transparency slider inside dialog box?), even in simple cases it is hard to distinguish what we are going to receive.

@Helvetosaur I was able to get this using your file and the default settings.

I think there’s room for improvement on the previews.

From the mesh part, or the polysurface?

From the polysurface.

Try it on the mesh part… I am not nearly as interested in remeshing good polysurfaces as I am in fixing and being able to edit difficult imported meshes…

Default settings with the mesh you posted

It appears symmetry may be causing your issue here. In the case of that, increase the target face count and work backwards to reduce the count and still produce a good result. Detect hard edges with the symmetry active may also be causing some grief on this part as well.

Hmm, I do NOT get that here…

Hard edges unchecked…

I got worse luck with it.

I agree. We have been experimenting with some meshes:

Did not do any guide curves or anything on this one.

Ok Disable Detect Hard Edges. I suspect this change I made today will help. RH-53632

So, then just add the Use Surface Faces on that. It will stop the quads from wandering out from the pipe flange and catch some of the edges.

Not available for the mesh part.

Did that - it’s the second image.

The detail in the input mesh also makes a difference.

@Helvetosaur the next update will show major improvement for this part.
I’ve added some tuning this morning to the way input meshes are processed that greatly help from seeing these gaps when Detect Hard Edges is active. This one is done using these changes and target count similar to the input meshes face count.

1 Like

OK, cool, thanks!!

@Trav @scottd Thank you for this incredible function, when will we see this implimented in grasshopper?

There is a sample gh definition at the end of the first post on this thread. We’ll probably be exposing more functionality in RhinoCommon as this feature matures

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/new-quadremesh-command/85601/2

3 Likes

@stevebaer Thank you. Will there be a functionality to change the detect edges break angle of more than +/-20 degrees?