QuadMesh prototype command available in latest WIP

Hi @lorenzogreco, did you reference a version of the libigl library that is wrapped in c#?
would be great if one could directly point to a .dll of the library through ‘manage assembly’ and script in the gh c# component.

Hi @DavidEranen, do you know when we will have more progress on this lovely command? Also any chance to give us a Grasshopper module for it?

Not a main version, I had to wrap some functions and do some modifications on the c++ side as well.
All the functions and interop objects are public so you can call/use them by referencing Capybara_Interop!

Hope this answers you question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would the libraries (in addition to Capybara_Interop and the other three that have to be in the Capybara folder in GH) have to be placed in their respective location (i.e. C:/Windows) for the reference to work?

Yep, as described in the instruction. Otherwise I guess you can add their path to the environment PATH variable at runtime.
Download the latest version though (004), the 003 has expired.

Hey, I wanted to let everyone know on this topic that we have released an improved Quadremesher in Rhino 7 WIP. If you still think you have a need for QuadRemeshing, stop give it a try:

2 Likes

Here are two quad meshes based on 3D scans. The first one is a tank of a Buell motorbike. I placed a circular curve around the opening and used the symmetry feature. It’s nice on the upper side of the tank, but the underside actually has a few asymmetric parts. Not quite sure what to do… The second image shows a chair which I also scanned with my Artec Leo. Again, remeshed with symmetry.

The new QuadMesh capability is beyond exciting. It seems to provide better results than Evolute Tools etTMap, however I want to try a bit more…

Programmers! Thanks for the amazing work!

12 Likes

@martinsiegrist those turned out great! I take it you were able to get those forms into Nurbs surfaces fairly easily from your scan data through mesh > subd > nurbs?

Yes. I have used ToSubD and ToNURBS quite a bit already, but mostly on more geometric shapes. More scanning soon…

1 Like

Hello martinsiegrist.

Are you interested in trying it with a small shed point cloud (FARO TLS)?

I´m on a track to optimize a small scale existing buildings rehabilitation process for architects and engineers,
(most of the things in the market are designed for big offices)
but my priority for the next month is to put a solar thermal roof working and online
(August is the perfect time for burnout tests)
But I would appreciate help!

Let me know if it´s interesting for you, or just tell us what happens when you try to scan a room and convert it.

Thanks for your tests anyway

Sorry for the delayed response. If you had tagged my name with an @… I would have received a notification.

My scanner (Artec Leo) is not targeted at scanning buildings or entire interiors / rooms.

A stationary device such as a Leica BLK 360 would be better, however I don’t have one and don’t know the possibilities or specifications of it.

Good luck!

I just tried out this new command on a shape that I have struggled on using both the 3D-coat retopo tool and the “Instant Mesh” retopology tool which is in fact a free tool that can be used independently.

Amazingly, your tool gets a better result in one click than what I previously achieved with painstaking efforts :

BRAVO !!!

8 Likes

@osuire Wow that turned out great, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I checked out this device on Artec’s site : looks sweet !
It is expensive, but that’s the price you would have paid a couple of years ago for a device that had to be tethered to a computer…

whatever

Hi David,

You might want to update this to “QuadRemesh”.

OK, I’m having an issue with this surface :

Tough To Quad.3dm (148.4 KB)

The quad remesher can’t mesh all the surface.
Admittedly, I am targeting very big edges because I’m hacking the tool to help me with a paneling job…

Target Edge length is too large and thus resulting in to few faces to fill the shape.

I thought it could be something like that…
There goes my hack attempt.

Thanks Travis.

it looks like things fall apart around 1100 to 1200 edge length. However, if you look at the resulting face count it seems to be ~35 faces. You could then switch back to target quad count and experiment with counts around 50 and start to dial it in with enough faces to fill the shape.

3 Likes

Thanks Travis, this helps.

1 Like