Purple garnet halo ring

Celebrating Rhino7 release! :smile:
My first model that is built with Rhino 7. (not Beta)

36 Likes

Cool!

Which new features of V7 did you take benefit of?

Regards,

Rhino 7 is a milestone for all “rhinokind”! :slight_smile:
Cheers

3 Likes

As a former T-Splines user, SubD modeling is a huge plus!
For example, this is a very simple thing but, making this shape needs extra steps if I use NURBS.
It gives me a cleaner geometry and I can adjust the details easily with SubD.

I drew a curve and used MultiPipe command and touched up the Subobjects.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks for the details!

1 Like

When you render a ring like this in two-tones, would you have to rhodium plate a gold ring in manufacturing to achieve this look?

If I may, rhodium plating a gold ring would probably be the easiest method to achieve this look but not the only method (Or even casting it completely in WG and yellow gold pin plating the YG area would be easy as well.) . I think it is possible to cast the pieces separately and maybe if the manufacturer has a laser welder that would be ideal for connecting the pieces. this method however would be more difficult.

1 Like

I would cast in 2 pieces and solder together or hand fabricated the gold filigree part.

1 Like

Nicolle and Shinya, thanks for your insight. I like the idea of casting in two metals best since it’s most pure. Still trying to get a handle on what can and can’t be printed/cast to better understand the realm of possibilities and limitations. Specifically thinking about for casting more ornate beads in silver or gold, I’ve been told it’s not standard practice.

With dark background

3 Likes

More Shining~
nice shot :trophy:

1 Like

Hi Shinya! Did you render this with Cycles or Keyshot?

Hello Shinya,

Nice, Did this design ever became a tangible ring ? Also it appears to me that the gemstone is a round cut. If so, I wonder the look would be be if the gemstone was a hexagonal cut.

Thank you,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I haven’t made this ring.
You are correct about the stone shape and I originally designed using a round center stone.
It would be cool to use a hexagonal cut and remove the prongs.
It may look more modern looking and cleaner.

Hello Shinya,

And bring out the qualities of the gemstone better. Seems that you will “loose light” with the round cut. Now having said that I think I would 1st calculate the surface area of the hexagon and then go form their and this is the thoughtful part i.e. the facets.

Thank you,

Andy