Purge the "Last used buttons" toolbar

I had a suggestion from one of our people, and it seems like a pretty good idea so I’ll pass it along. A lot of us use the “Last used buttons” toolbar to accomplish repetitive tasks. We end up reusing icons over and over, but they’re not always in a logical order, for obvious reasons.The request is to have a command that will purge, or empty, the toolbar so that when one of these repetitive tasks is started, the user can pick his icons in order (from the other toolbars) and create a last used toolbar that is more organized.

Hang on, there’s more…

It was also suggested that it would be useful to have an option after purging to build the last used menu from the bottom up instead of always from the top down. That way they can purge the menu, pick their new commands in order, then the last command they used will be at the bottom. Currently we are always working up the menu as the last used command is at the top.

This seems like “fluff” but it probably would be a useful option for those of us that use the last used button menu frequently.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan, I’ll get these on the pile… thanks.

It does not look like there is any way, even clunkily, to purge the MRU at the moment. The best I can do is force it to defaults.

That way they can purge the menu, pick their new commands in order, then the last command they used will be at the bottom. Currently we are always working up the menu as the last used command is at the top.

@DanBayn - what would be the advantage of this?

-Pascal

Working from the top down seems to be more intuitive for most. Once the user builds their menu from using the commands, the repeat procedures would start at the top and work down the menu (assuming it’s docked vertically) as opposed to starting at the bottom and working their way up. I suppose if it’s docked horizontally it would be the same issue, but maybe even more pronounced as we are accustomed to reading left to right, but we would be picking our icons for a procedure right to left with the current behaviour.

Hope this explains it.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan - I see - so, users are stringing the buttons together, right, in some order of operations, this is not just random MRU… that does put a different complexion on things - it is sort of a macro, almost, correct? That context makes the ordering request make more sense to me. And the idea of clearing it is to start, as it were a new macro of commands that will be repeated, without the clutter of the old ones possibly confusing things - am I on the right track?

RH-62203

Dan, assuming I am correctly interpreting your users’ workflow in the above bug track item, it occurs to me that it might also be helpful to copy the MRU current contents to a new toolbar… am I just complicating things?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Yes exactly.

We do have quite a few users that make their own toolbars, and that is one solution. However, I try to discourage that as it’s too difficult to manage. For example, I often add icons for new scripts I write, but if everyone has their own toolbars I struggle to distribute the new tools. Having one “master” rui file and having the users create their own MRU toolbar based off of their tasks seems like a good solution.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Dan