Proxy Point animation

I am using Bongo 2 and VRay. I can animate a proxy point (which has several objects attached to it) just fine and it scrubs on the timeline just fine. However if I do an animation of the frames that I need, the entire movement will not be captured. It is like the animated movement has been changed. However, scrubbing the timeline is just fine. To get around this I have to render twice the frames and stop the animation halfway which gives me what I need. Anyone else notice this about proxy points?

This pic shows the gap between frames 45 and 46 when I render out the animation the two different ways described above.

Would you be able to share the model with us so that we can have a look?

Here is the rhino file. If you render it from frames 0 to 45 it will not render the entire movement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh7v43r9pzsnbjv/ProxyAnimation.3dm?dl=0

What version of Rhino, Bongo and V-Ray do you have installed?

I tested and I’m not getting it to jump between the last two rendered frames… tested rendering out with 3 different options, one of them being V-Ray Next…

latest Rhino 6, latest Vray, latest Bongo 2. If you render out the animation you will not see a jump. Let me explain.

Render out frames 1 to 45: It will be a smooth animation however it will not capture the whole movement, about half of it.

Render out frames 1 to 90: It will capture the whole movement correctly, but now I have a bunch of frames I did not need. Frames 45-90.

I have done this on two different files and it happened both times.

Steve,
I think you mixed up the notions “Tick” and “Frame”.

A ‘Frame’ is a still image that Bongo generates to create a video. The number of frames needed is expressed in FPS (frames per second): e.g. to build a movie of 6 seconds at a framerate of 25 FPS it takes 130 frames.

A ‘Tick’ is an abstract notion used to manage the duration of actions in relation to the entire timeline. E.g. when an object moves from A to B in 99 ticks and you want it to twirl in the last third of that move, the rotation must be initiated at tick 66.

I write ”abstract” because the length of a Tick in seconds is variable. It is determined by the ratio of the number of ticks in the timeline and the timeline’s duration in seconds. By default the timeline is 99 ticks and the length of the timeline is 10 seconds. This makes a tick is about 0.1 seconds.

As far as I can see I think you placed the keyframe (which moves the proxy) at tick 45 instead of 99 in order to have the objects moving at the speed you wanted (in preview, i.e. by pressing the Play button). This left you with a superfluous part of the timeline in which nothing happens. Conclusion is that your animation should last 4.5 seconds

Then we go to the Bongo Render Animation window.

In the top frame “Input” you have probably adjusted the “Stop tick” datum to 45. This is correct, since you don’t want the part in which the objects are stationary. Confirming this setting (by clicking “Apply”) moves the Animation Limits marker of the timeline.
Image 3
Still correct so far - this is step 1 in the settings for Rendering the Animation.

Step 2 (the second frame) is to define the “Output”. Apart from the Target Render and the Resolution, it is important to enter the length of the Animation. There is no automatic relation with the length of the timeline in seconds.
The value in seconds is the most convenient entry. Strangely enough the default setting is 6 seconds (not 10). Since you established earlier that the animation should last 4.5 seconds, you have to enter it here. Unfortunately the box only accepts integers.
No worry. You can calculate the necessary number of frames yourselve. For example when you want a Web video at 15 FPS the number of frames (‘Frames’ not Ticks’) must be 4.5 x 15 = 67,5 rounded 68. This value can be enter in the ‘Number of Frames’ field.

The 3 frame(“Frames”) in this window is by default set to “Active time segment” which (by now) should display “0 to 67” namely the complete range of 68 ‘Frames’ you need for the video. The other options (which you mistakenly used) allow the user to render only a part of the full video, or even very specific frames. Interesting for long videos or precise editing.

So finally, below is an image of the setting in the Bongo Render Animation window that should give you the right amount of stills (68) to produce the desired video.

Good luck,
Luc

Ahhh I see now. I was ignoring the middle one (output) as I set that in After Effects.