Procedural wood - R7 Windows crashes - reason why?

Hi , Im trying out Schnurzelpurtz procedural wood collection, but my R7-Windows freezes ever so often in the process of adjusting the mapping widgets, especially when adjusting multiple widgets simultanious.

Would anyone please help, suggesting the reason for Freeze on PC ?

attached the file (R7), and link to Food4Rhino where one can download the package.
also specs for my PC

Thanks !

LEGEHUS 2 (proc. wood).3dm (9.3 MB)

Specs 2021-1

Hej @ohlers
Always nice to see other Danes here :denmark: If Rhino crashes when changing textures, mapping etc. it’s almost always due to an old graphics card driver. Run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and cooy/paste the result here. I’m guessing your Nvidia driver could do with an upgrade. If that’s not it, it could be a plugin acting up - the SystemInfo command will list those as well.
HTH, Jakob

TAK Jakob - i lige mĂĄde :slight_smile:
Jeg kigger lige på det og vender tilbage…

1 Like

Rhino 7 SR9 2021-8-10 (Rhino 7, 7.9.21222.15001, Git hash:master @ 190335c3fb65efe86c302714a8959a7dadfe667b)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-08-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.18363 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 9-30-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-30-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Mindesk\Rhinoceros\Mindesk.rhp “Mindesk”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.9.21222.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.9.21222.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.9.21222.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.9.21222.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.9.21222.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi -
Thanks for the SystemInfo.
I’m sure there are newer drivers available for that GPU but the first thing to try is to see if Rhino also crashes when the Mindesk plug-in is disabled.
Are you sending in the crash reports?
-wim

Hi @wim
I did update the NVIDIA driver, and i did disable Mindesk, (but then the bumpmap and grain looks weird…)
Performance is a bit better, not so many issues , but still, it happens when i move the mapping widgets around.
I cannot report error, since I have to shut down Rhino each time, to get out of a freeze.
So there are no crash reports, only loads of freezes, that perhaps I dont have the stomach to wait out (5-10 min and then i budge).
I suspect one little freeze, accelerates into total paralysis, if I click around impatiently and also touch the spacemouse…

Can you tell me if this is the procedural wood materials, that are buggy, or is it that the Rhino renderer /materials mapper is not really suited for such materials, or what else could it be, that is causing such cumbersome issues?

Hi -

Ha, yes, a crash is not the same as a freeze. You can manually create a crash dump when Rhino is frozen. See the instructions here: Manually Creating a Memory Dump (DMP File) from an Unresponsive Rhino for Windows [McNeel Wiki]

Can you specify which steps are needed to reproduce this behavior? If a specific model and material is needed, please also upload those.
-wim

No specific actions are causing this. The whole thing with theese materials generally feels very buggy, especially when i move the widgets, as explained earlier. The file i’m referring to is in this thread at top.

Im trying to locate the dump file, I just created…

Argh… Its in a hidden folder ! :smiley:

Rhino.dmp

Its not an authorized file to upload on the forum… where and who do i send it to, regarding this thread?

Hi Hans - please zip and upload to www.rhino3d.com/upload with a link back to this topic in your comments.

-Pascal

Hi Hans - I can reproduce a hang. or non-response - not a crash though, adjusing multiple widgets via gumball.
Testing a bit more, it seems the lag is actually quite short here - Rhino comes back after a few seconds with the textures updated.

-Pascal

Yes, thats what i get too. But not just a few seconds. Way more, minutes up to 5-10 minutes.

If i touch anything during hang or freeze , the window get a “frosty tint” and Rhino freeze totally.

How do you define difference betw freeze and crash?

The sent in memory dump says that the texture baker is waiting for being signalled to get stopped. Probably something for @Jussi_Aaltonen to look at.

wow - thankyou so much for looking into it so quick ! :+1:

While you are at it, maybe also check to see, why the animated preview of the texture (while moving the widgets) do not match the baked result, that will appear a few moments after the widget is left in a position ?
That’s something I also noticed, that felt “buggy” - I had to try and error a lot to find a desired look, because of that issue.

Thanks again! really cool responsive support from McNeel !
Kudos ! :slight_smile:

That is all the domain of @Jussi_Aaltonen :slight_smile:

@Jussi_Aaltonen
I would also like to add to this thread, that the procedural materials look very different in either Mac or PC. Same file, same settings:

Mac:

PC:

Thanks for looking into this ! :slight_smile:

@ohlers
Thanks for the model and the freeze report. I can repeat at least one type of freeze. And now that I’m looking at the code on my frozen Rhino it seems impossible that it ever would come back live.

The difference between Mac and Windows Rhino could be that Mac is not baking for some reason - either the graphics card is on the no-baking-list or your Mac is a laptop and it’s disconnected from the mains.

RH-65628 Texture baker freezes Rhino

RH-65628 is fixed in Rhino 7 Service Release 11 Release Candidate