Problems with Rhino.Inside.Revit and python-based plugins (Honeybee)


I get the error “expected str, got bytes” on the Honeybee/Honeybee component when trying to run it using Rhino.Inside.Revit. It works fine just running it in Rhino 7 WIP. Also, I get an error message, including the same error “expected str, got bytes”, from a ghpython component in the DecodingSpaces Grasshopper-plugin when Grasshopper starts up inside Revit. Why can this be?


I am not sure.

We may need to work with Ladybug Tools on this. Have you posted the question on their forum:

I am having some trouble with Honeybee too in Revit. In the past it worked, but I am wondering if some update to Python has got me in trouble?

Thanks Scott,

and thanks for posting the question at Ladybug Tools, too.
The error in the image above, from DecodingSpaces, didn’t appear when I first started to use Rhino.Inside.Revit, either. I think it started to appear maybe 2-3 months ago.

Oh, sorry, I have now posted the question at Ladybug Tools, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any updates here? Rhino.Inside still not reading python-based plugins or python components?

I had this issue but managed to fix it. LBT in Rhino7 (standalone) was working fine, but not in Rhino Inside Revit.

I ran the installer from within RIR and if fixed my issue. Basically, the problem was that it could find the Python libraries, which is now resolved.


Hi everyone!

Just had the same problem and neither @parametricmonkey1’s solution nor running set_python_path.bat worked (although the latter actually added the correct paths to the xml files).

I managed to fix it by adding the path manually to the path options of Python Editor in Rhino.Inside Revit:

  1. Start Rhino.Inside Revit
  2. Open Python Editor from the tab and then go to ‘Tools > Options’
  3. Add the correct path to the ‘Model Search Path’ area and that’s it :wink:

Hello @RdK, thank you for this solution. I have tried referring to the paths in your image, but none of them work. Did you refer to somewhere else?

Hi Okan,

Can you pose this question to the Ladybug forum? You may need to be specific on the Rhino version you are using.

Hello Japhy thank you, my issue is also posted earlier on the Ladybug forum, see link below. It is an issue with Rhino Inside Revit, which is not connecting properly to python causing the Honeybee Energy components to not work (_sqlite3 to be specific). Chris Mackey is referring back to the McNeel forum. So in short there is no solution yet. We used to have it working before, but an update in rhino or rhino inside revit (we did not update Ladybug Tools) has messed up the Python referral.


All posted solutions so far did not work for me (running set_python bat file, reverting to older thino inside revit, adding location to ironpyhton referral manually).

I will now try to revert Rhino back to v7.25, since that is the version that is listed in the compatability matrix for Ladybug Tools. I will let you know if that works, now we have 7.36 running.

Llittle update: sadly reverting and reinstalling did not solve the issue. I will post it on the Ladybug forum as a new issue :+1:

Hello, I’ve found an additional solution that did work for my by uninstalling a Revit plugin/add-on that was also working with Python and Ironpython, see my post here: