Printing PDF on OS X Ventura In Rhino MAC 7 is slooooooow

Hi,

Printing PDF on the mac after upgrading to OS X Ventura just became incredibly slow.
I’m using the latest Rhino 7 version.

Please fix. asap.

2 Likes

Yes, have troubles as well. IT seems the printing dialogue has been redesigned, but now almost useless. Delay as hell, previews are not correct, basically not possible to work with. I don’t know if this is some of the mac’s new improvements or McNeel can fix it??

2 Likes

Hi -
Apparently, I don’t have a Ventura-compatible machine, but just to make sure, is this with using the Print command or ExportAll?
-wim

I tried both:
Print to PDF. Hardly possible at all. Had to force quit Rhino.

Export to PDF. Does work but incredibly slow. 10 mins printing 6 pages!

Preview of pages not working in any of the options.

1 Like

yep, Print + Cmnd is totally off, I used export to get the pdf out, but was slower than usual as well.

This happened when printing vector of a shaded view.

1 Like

I keep getting fails with PDF prints and export.

I cannot output drawings from Rhino!

This is a critical bug!

1 Like

I have same isues, It´s realy processor demanding that printing dialoqe on Ventura, not good.

Hope a udate can fix it soon.

2 Likes

I’ve also been having issues with it too - please can this be fixed.

1 Like

having this issue too. default seems to be ‘pages - all’ and maybe its using up power trying to generate thumbnails for all the pages. This needs to be fixed ASAP

1 Like

Ugh, sounds bad.

I’m attempting to reproduce this here and I’m having trouble. I’m running macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and Rhino 7 for Mac (7.25.22326.19002). I’m using a relatively complex model with lots of linework and 6 layout pages. I’ve been trying Print, ExportAll, etc. and it’s all working fine, so I must be doing something wrong.

Can someone here please provide a model and detailed steps to help us reproduce this?

I’m running on M1 silicone.
Could make the difference. So many bugs and slowness running Rhino on latest Mac processors.

Same here. I think I’m just missing a critical detail for reproducing this one (or it might be 3dm file dependent). If someone could provide a file and detailed steps (pretend I’ve never used Rhino before), I think we could reproduce this and have a shot at fixing it.

1 Like

I’m running on 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor for Mac and it’s really bad to the point the layout page doesn’t load the previous for layout pages properly.

I have 10 pages of different drawings, but each should preview to me a different drawing. Also just selecting certain things after a while - it does this? Which it has never done before on the previous version of a MAC OS system.

Hi -

I see that you are using the Print command to create a PDF file. From Rhino on macOS, using Export is the recommended workflow.

Apart from that, as Dan asked multiple times, could you please provide a model and detailed steps to help us reproduce this?
-wim

I can’t share my model due to an NDA agreement. Usually i go into layout mode - click on a page i’ve created and set up and you are right i click cmd + p (to print). This usually helps me see what I’m working with as well as allows me to save a PDF. As that is the format I usually need or want scaled at 1:1 for however I’ve laid it out on a page.

Oh i see so export is better than the print command? But can the print command be fixed as prior it worked fine before.

1 Like

We are still trying to figure out what needs to be fixed. It looks like Apple changed something with respect to their standard print dialog that is causing Rhino to be slow in the latest version of macOS (Ventura). Once we can reproduce the issue, then we can start figuring out what to do next.

1 Like

We wrote the code for the Export command and can therefore more easily fix things that are wrong with it. I would encourage you to at least try that command.

Note that Steve wrote “Once we can reproduce the issue”. So far, we haven’t.
I understand that you can’t share the model that is under NDA. When you start a new file with just a simple box, and create a layout with a few details, does that behave the same way when printing as the NDA file? In other words, is this a file-specific issue?

Apart from that, I see that nobody in this thread has provided their SystemInfo data. Could you run that Rhino command and copy-paste the result here?
-wim

Here is a print screen of how it looks on mu mac.
i think it´s the pagepreview funktionality that takea all my processor power and makes it realy “heavy”

2 Likes