Printed result in raster instead of vector from layout

Hi,

Why if I print to pdf any 3D object (for ex. a cube) from layout, using Rhino5, selecting vector output, the results from all visualisaztion style (except for wireframe) are all raster?

test.pdf (289.5 KB)

Why can’t we have Pen and Technical style in vector?

Hello - that is just ‘how it is’ - there is no provision for exporting shading on surfaces and meshes as vector. Pen, Technical etc use meshes to draw in screen, so the ‘curves’ you see are not really there, so to speak.

-Pascal

I understand.

but why not to let Pen and Technical use the same draw method (obviously if possible) as for Wireframe, since that the result are mainly lines, so to get vector output?

Talking about shading export, it can be converted to hatch, so it can be edited as a vector.

But, for me, having vector line output from Pen and/or Technical view it’ll a big result, and also a very big time saver! (make2d is a very huge time wasting)

Hi Nicola -

None of that is currently possible. We have this feature request on the list as RH-11615 and I have added this thread to be notified when it gets implemented.
-wim

1 Like

Hi Wim,

is someone working on it?

thanks

It’s a request but it’s not something that’s going to happen anytime soon if ever. Those display modes aren’t actually creating vectors that can be exported, it’s a bunch of trickery, basically elaborate shadows.

Hi Nicola -
As Jim says, this is not something that is currently being looked at.
If that feature is very important to you, I suppose you could take a look at the VisualArq plug-in. That has a shaded display mode that prints as vectors.
-wim

Hi Wim,

I had seen VisualArq, that do the job I’m looking as you say.
On the other hand, I think it’s not convenient to buy a plugin, that cost as much as Rhino, only for one feature.

Seeing that it’s a very old feature request came from other peoples, I think it coukld be usefull if we can find this feature directly in Rhino.

So, if it come, it’s welcome :wink:

I know its not ideal to export to another application but you might be able to get the result you want from Blender until there is a Rhino solution for this.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/render/render_freestyle_svg.html

I have not used either add-on in Blender so I cannot comment on their performance or features

Continuing in the vein of less-than-ideal responses:
Here’s some material related to shaded vector rendering done in in another software package (AutoCAD). This automation, semi proof of concept at best, mostly uses internal AutoCAD capabilities, but also a few custom bits. The reason I believe this post is pertinent at all is that the APIs of both AutoCAD and Rhino seem to offer similar capabilities.

I’d be happy to discuss the process/algorithm if there is any intertest.

I have ported one of my AutoCAD routines to Rhino, though must admit that I am a novice regarding the Rhino Common API.
Homographic transformation - Rhino / Rhino for Windows - McNeel Forum

Perhaps there is a third-party (or otherwise) developer willing to help port – and cleanup – some C# code.

Early Demo

External Reference Render

ElevOfficeNE.pdf (2.2 MB)
ElevOfficeSW.pdf (2.7 MB)