Print "All Layouts" to PDF Quality Problem

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I am having a really annoying issue with Rhino 7 (and Rhino 6). All of my Rhino projects involve many layouts and printing them to PDF individually can be time consuming. I discovered that you can check the “All Layouts” box under “View and Output Scale” in the print dialog which will tell whatever printer driver you are using to print all the layouts at once and create one PDF document with multiple pages. When I do this, certain pages do not print to the same quality as when printing layouts individually. There is pixilation and often shading errors. Sometimes the model in the detail view fails to appear in the print at all. This is very perplexing and very annoying. I have been on the horn with Rhino Tech and they have no answers. The problem happens with the Rhino PDF driver, Adobe PDF Driver and Bluebeam PDF driver. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Rhino 7 and Rhino 6 to no avail. Updated printer drivers and graphics card driver. I have attached examples of how the prints look when printed all at the same time. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. See below for my system info. I use a Boxx workstation with i7-10700k, 32gb Ram, Quadro p2200 gpu.

Rhino 7 SR2 2021-1-12 (Rhino 7, 7.2.21012.11001, Git hash:master @ 2f08cf516ffc716c4c4a369abf7625798ef79bca)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-01-12
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.18363 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2200 (NVidia) Memory: 5GB, Driver date: 12-11-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.89
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-11-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6089
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 5 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.2.21012.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.2.21012.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.2.21012.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.2.21012.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 7.2.21012.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.2.21012.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Printing Test.pdf (2.2 MB)

Hi @brady1 can you PM me with any sort of example 3dm file that I can test with on this end or do you have a support ticket somewhere that I could reference?

This is what the tech logged my problem as RH-62342 Problems Printing Multiple Layouts to PDF: Incomplete or Incorrect Output

1 Like

Thanks @brady1 I’ll have a look. At first glance of the ticket it does seem like it’s likely hardware related and assigned to the proper person.

@brady1 I am unable to get the same results that you’re seeing. What page dimensions and resolutions are you trying?

Would it be easier if we did a screen share?

Not for my testing, I am able to see the issue in your pdf. Duplicating it off of your device is the issue. What resolution are you saving your pdfs as? I’d like to ensure that its machine specific and not a setting I’ve not copied which causes the bug to arise.

11x17
600 dpi

try it at 72dpi and 300 dpi and see if your results improve.

This thread had me excited. My first discovery of this feature. I have v6 still.
I do not have the quality issues, but a portrait vs landscape issue. Most of my layouts are landscape, some are portrait.
Printing multiples PDFs this way appears that they all have to be either landscape OR portrait. Also they all need to be the same layout size.
In other words when I print landscape, they all come out landscape thus the portrait ones are cut off.
Fix for this?

Didnt change anything

v6 does not support multiple page sizes in a pdf export. However v7 does using SaveAs > PDF (not to be confused with Print > PDF).

It does indeed sound like a hardware specific issue. Those can be tricky to solve. I know you mentioned updating your drivers but it could be an older driver solves it or makes it worse.

Hmm. Where would you suggest I start?

Hi, Have you had any luck with this issue?
I randomly have it as well.

No luck. The Foxit pdf writer works the best but still not perfect.