Pipe Tool Operation - Not able to complete this procedure

I created a path in Adobe Illustrator and imported it into Rhino 5. What I thought would be a straight-forward procedure, has resulted in an operation that I’m unable to complete. I have uploaded a copy of my file and encourage you to create a pipe operation on the path created. The size of the wire (pipe) that I would like is 1/128th of an inch in diameter (no variations in the diameter from beginning to end). In advance, thank you for your assistance with this.

If you are successful in completing this pipe operation, please let me know exactly what you did to complete this procedure successfully so that I can repeat it myself.

File: CS_Wire_1A.3dm (56.5 KB)

change your tolerance to something like .000001" …explode the curve then immediately re-join…

then- you simply can’t do 1/128" diameter through those bends…
somewhere around 1/600" is the largest diameter you can use before things start folding…
(assuming you want the curve to be the centerline of the pipe)

you can’t pipe through a radius which is smaller than the radius of the pipe.

(Pascal Golay) #3

Hi Steve - Did you get this working? File tolerance at .0001, maybe .00001 should be OK, (DocumentProperties > Units page) then SimplifyCrv and then Pipe at .001. As Jeff points out, much larger than that will result in a self intersecting pipe surface due to the very small radii in parts of the curve.

-Pascal

Thank you for both responses. Much appreciated.

Thanks to your suggestions and overall guidance on this procedure, I’m beginning to understand what my limitations are regarding the path that I created and the diameter of the pipe.

My next challenge will be the rendering of the wire along with the rest of the product after all of the parts are constructed and assembled.

(Pascal Golay) #5

Hi Steve[quote=“Steve_S, post:4, topic:7572”]
My next challenge will be the rendering of the wire
[/quote]

Look into ApplyCurvePiping as well. There may be no need for the Pipe command. Also, ExtractPipedCurve.

-Pascal

Thank you, Pascal. I really appreciate the additional suggestions that you’ve offered. Working in 3D can be very challenging at times, but with the knowledgeable support that you and all of your forum colleagues provide, it certainly makes it an interesting and worthwhile experience. I really love the fact that there is never just one solution to any issue that you’re confronted with.