Photogrammetry to Rhino

Hi,

I usually use Agisoft Photoscan to import mesh into Zbrush. With Rhino being a NURBS software how do you all work with photogrammetry results? I want to try using Rhino to produce what I make via Zbrush/Agisoft workflow.

Regards,

What kind of mesh processing tools u use in Zbrush?

I process all my Photoscan 3D models in Rhino to produce colored 3D elevation plots, conformal elevation plots, contour plots, 2D elevation profile lines, make cutouts in the model, holes in the model, 2D & 3D area and volume of cutouts, automatically identify trees on 17 acres site, create data for precision agricultural applications like tree height shown on 2D map (this highlights healthy/poor areas), automatically generate DTM for orchard so the tree heights are accurate, and more. My Python code is now 12,000 lines and growing. Here is an example map of an orchard. Be sure to click on it to see full details.

Here is the raw, 8M faces mesh for the above:

The code has been optimized for performance so it can handle meshes with millions of mesh faces. For example, I have loaded meshes with 20M faces and can color their 10M vertices in less than 10 sec. Or trim the mesh on all four sides in less than a minute vs 20+ minutes it takes with Rhino Mesh Tools Trim function.

I may be able to help you develop your own Python scripts for processing 3D models imported from Photoscan. What do you want to do with the 3D mode?

Regards,
Terry.

1 Like

How do I process the obj file imported from Agisoft - do u mean?

Well I thought Photogrammetry deals in polygons and Rhino is a Nurbs modeler, so I wondered how the two work together (or not work together) if you cant import any nurbs info?

Rhino works with both Nurbs and meshes. The 3D obj file from Photoscan is imported as a mesh with triangular faces. The mesh can be processed in many ways to produce useful results, In my case I get maps that can show a wealth of information. What is your case? What would you like to do with your model?

Regards,
Terry.

Even rhino is nurbs focused there are methods that focus on mesh operations. I do not see any reason why you would like to convert meshes of photogrammetry to nurbs. In case your focus is not reverse engineering. If you just want implicit smoothing, fixing mesh, filling holes, remesh stay in discrete mesh representation

1 Like

Been away for a while doing other things.

"If you just want implicit smoothing, fixing mesh, filling holes, remesh stay in discrete mesh representation’’ - this is what I am looking for. What tools are they, so I can start to explore?

Would prefer if my output is more Nurbs than Mesh though.

Could you give us some specific details … what are you scanning and how do you intend to use the results, rendering, 3d printing, cnc machining … ?

I have scanned some architectural decoration and want to manipulate it in rhino then CNC the result. Here I used Zbrush but I want to use Rhino too to get other different results

Search for reverse engineering … this will produce the highest quality model, rather than modifying or fixing the scan.

You need to construct curves and surfaces, basically rebuild the model using the scan as a reference