Anyone use Agisoft Photoscan or metashape as now called to create mesh for Rhino?

Hi,
I know this is a Rhino forum but I cant use rhino on my project until I get an answer at Agisoft forum and I have waited 2 months on one question posed, on why an old version makes a far better job than the current version.
I wish their forum was as good as Rhino’s, I need to know how to deal with two sets of photos, 2nd set created when one has to turn the object being photographed upside down, as I imagine is a common need !

Also masking out foliage and backgrounds on a few thousand photos I have of a number of objects will take forever. Agisoft hopefully ignores such allowing user to edit it out in mesh.

Is there an easy way of importing mesh and converting it into Rhino surfaces I wonder.

Steve

Search the AGI Forum for “chunk alignment” or something similar and you may get some better info.
If you are not using the “Pro” version (I don’t have it myself) I think there might be fewer alignment options.

Hi,
you were right, markers are the way to align two meshes from two photo sets or chunks as they call them. However one has to find 3500 versus 179 euros to use a few markers. Appalling, as they are basic alignmment tools yet not in the basic package. 3500 is for all sorts of drone and gis and other advanced stuff I do not need. I just cannot pay 3500 just for a few little flags, . What a fiasco.

now stuck. almost blackmail. Bought the standard prog yet its incomplete as such.

Steve

@Steve1 I use the Align Chunks command in the Workflow menu. Usually I make sure to include several photos in both chunks and use the Camera based alignment method which is very fast. When taking the photos I try to make sure there will be some photos which can be used in multiple chunks. Occasionally I use the Point based alignment method but it can take a while. With the point based method there needs to be a region of overlap between the chunks.

If I don’t have photos used in multiple chunks and no insufficient overlap then I import the meshes for each chunk into Rhino and manually align the meshes.

Hi David,
see PM sent on a similar topic.
Cheers

Steve

I steve. I am trying to use Agisoft metashape to reconstruct 3d buildings. for some reason when I import the model in rhino the texture does not display as good. it actually looks really bad. I have here 2 examples one screen capture inside the agisoft software and other when I import the file into rhino and it looks really bad. I dont understand why.

found some info and it looks like what I see in the rhino file its the vertex color and not the texture itself. I dont know how to change that or make the texture display. any help?

I import .obj into Rhino files from Metashape with vertex colors and textures and they both display without a problem. So it is possible. In Metashape I build the model and then build the texture and then export the model with data type: Wavefront OBJ and then on the options form I use these settings:

Then in Rhino I select File → Import and use the default settings:

The Photoscan textured view:

and Rhino Rendered view:

look the same.

To see the Rhino Rendered view press: Ctrl-Alt-r
To see the Rhino Shaded view press: Ctrl-Alt-s
To see the Rhino Wireframe view press: Ctrl-Alt-w

To see if the material for the texture got imported successfully and attached to the mesh, click on the mesh and then go to the select the Materials tab on the panel as shown here:

The Name should be filled in with the name you used in Metashape to export the model, Type should be Custom, Color should be checked and show the name of the .jpg file.

Hope this helps?

I am working on a script that imports the model over 3X faster that may be ready soon. Would this be of use to you? The example I show here took Rhino 73 sec to import but only 20 sec with my script.

Regards,
Terry.

Thanks so much for the answer. I do the same as you. And I don’t get a good result. I don’t know why.

Look again. I added more details to my post. Do you see the Material information as I described?

Thanks so much for you replay. I found the solution. This post made me think what would happend if I did the export from metashape with out vertex color. and I tried that and now it works. since there is no vertex color. it reads the texture only and not the vertex color. that was the problem. thanks for you replay.

Both should work. I export both vertex colors and the texture. Then in Rhino I view the vertex colors in Shaded View mode (Ctrl+Alt+s) and the textures in Rendered View mode (Ctrl+Alt+r) or select the view modes from the View tab.

I can think of no reason why this should not work for you as long as you setup the forms as I showed above.

But if you are happy with the textures only, then you are good. I am just saying both tools support both.

Regards,
Terry.

I imported an OBJ file of a textured mesh from Metashape. Rendered display in Rhino shows the textured surface while Shaded display mode shows surfaces with color determined by the vertex colors.