Parametric Horizontal Louvers + Attractive Curve

I am trying to design a horizontal parametric louver system that curves like a single wave of a sine curve.
Elements to be controlled by the attractor curve:

1. length of horizontal projection
  2. point of maximum distance from the original line

I attempted this by dividing the horizontal line into multiple points and extruding perpendicular lines which will then be affected by the proximity of the attractor curve.
But I am unable to limit the louver curve at the 2 edges where I want no projection.

I have attached the concept sketch as well as the GH file.

Please advise & thanks in advance!

Courtyard Horizontal Louvers #3.gh (64.7 KB)

Hi Adrocks,

It seems quite hard to calculate the correct coordinates for each point in order to get the curve you want. Instead I would approach it like this:

First make some horizontal planes that give an intersection line with the building, as well as an intersection point with your curve. After that you can either:

• Offset the curve to the outside to get the basic louver width, then on top of that construct a curve using endpoints and tangents, connecting the offset line to the curve intersection point
  • Draw a neat standard sine wave, then transform it (I used rectangle mapping) to a different place and size for each louver.

The results are a bit different for each case. Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions

Courtyard Horizontal Louvers.gh (59.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi Bert,

You are right. That does make it easier than what I was trying to do.
Thanks for the reply.

Taking this one step further, any ideas on how I would be able to make the louvers climate responsive using Ladybug for instance?

Hi - You might want to search the Ladybug forum for previous discussions on that topic:

-wim

2 Likes