Parametric facade system

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to follow the steps in the video below to create a similar parametric louvred facade system but am struggling to understand how some of the steps were done. I’ve attached what I’ve attempted so far, don’t know if it is right.

Currently having issues with the next step…lofting. This is what is happening to mine…don’t know what I am doing wrong:

https://vimeo.com/79186410
twisted blind tutorial.gh (11.4 KB)
twisted blind tutorial.3dm (16.9 KB)

Hey, check out the attached file :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask any questions

twisted blind tutorial.gh (14.3 KB)

Hi @Matthew_Breau,

Thanks so much! I think that makes sense…your notes helped :slight_smile:

Do you have any idea how I could make the system follow a curve rather than just on a flat plane?

Thanks,

Sure, currently you manually define 5 points (in a vertical stack) that you made in rhino, then copy them to the right.

Instead, you could define a curve in rhino, and divide it in grasshopper to find y number of points. Then copy those points upwards x times, to get y number of blinds, (each with x defining lines).

Does that make sense?

Thanks @Matthew_Breau,
I’m not sure, I think I start to follow you, but then am confused how to integrate this with the previous.

Is this what you mean?

twisted blind tutorial.3dm (21.2 KB)
twisted blind tutorial.gh (11.4 KB)

I think you uploaded your old gh file, but from your screenshot it looks like you’re on the right track. It looks like currently you have 11 “blinds” with 4 control points each. So the next step would be to turn the control points into control lines, make the lines rotate according to a slider, then loft them.

Just keep in mind that you want your data to be in the form of 11 lists with 4 (5?) items per list.

Ah got it thanks so much for your help!

Hi @Matthew_Breau,

Sorry I have one more question. Although the “blinds” are following the curve, they are all orientated forwards. I’m trying to get them to follow the line of the curve ie. facing inwards. It’s probably really straight forward but I cant seem to get it to work.

I’ve tried orient and fit curve… are these right or am I using the wrong component entirely?

curved blinds.gh (15.2 KB)

curved blinds.gh (19.8 KB)

Check out the attached file

Currently, you’re using the same vector to generate the lines for each blind… Basically what you want instead is to create each blind’s lines according to a different vector… The divide curve component actually gives you the vectors you require, so its just a matter of connecting those. As long as your lists are the same length and coordinated, then it’ll apply the first vector to the first point, second vector to the second point, etc.