Out of memory - rendering

Hi, I’m currently working with the MAC Rhino 6 WIP and during rendering it constantly shuts down, telling me I ran out of Application memory? Any Idea on how I can fix this? Every other program is shut, it’s only rhino working. The first three renders worked, the third one gives me this error notification.

Hi - please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the result in an answer here.
Thanks.

Rhino 6 SR15 2019-4-16 (Public Build, 6.15.19106.13406, Git hash:master @ 9d21b6aa5f40b6ac93c4d9a56b911f3e09d90ef7)
License type: Beta, build 2019-04-16
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2019-05-31

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.14.4 (Build 18E226) (Physical RAM: 8Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
Machine name: annas blume
Language: en

Intel® Iris™ Graphics 6100 (OpenGL ver:4.1 INTEL-12.8.38)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1536 MB
Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Displays: Color LCD (227dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 (1536 MB)
Color LCD (1280 x 800)

USB devices
Broadcom Corp.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.sophos.nke.swi (9.7.15) 727E1482-79C1-3F33-A3C4-F147A406D5CA
com.sophos.kext.oas (9.7.4) FE151087-F3B0-3F51-BD15-3313B8BCDDAB
com.regularrateandrhythm.driver.RowmoteIREmu (1.2) 22E6E251-4F1A-37DE-B22B-28306195DF22

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.15.19106.13406
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 6.15.19106.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.15.19106.13406
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 6.15.19106.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 6.15.19106.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.15.19106.13406
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 6.15.19106.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.15.19106.13406
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 6.15.19106.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/export_ACAD.rhp “AutoCAD file export : export_ACAD” 6.15.19106.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.15.19106.13406
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” 6.15.19106.1002

Hi - this is perhaps rather limited in VRAM but that also depends on the rest of your hardware and your 3d model.

We recommend 4 GB Video RAM and that should be doubled if you use a high resolution monitor (4K, 5K).

If you use large files with many high-res textures in your materials, that would also quickly use all available VRAM on your machine.
HTH,
wim

I am a bit confused why there is so little information on this subject - and how… we wil be able to utilize Rhino V6 for Mac, if 8GB of VRAM is needed !

I am currently using a late 2014 MacMini, 2,8 Ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, and Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics card.

The machine is totally choking , when I use Raytraced preview, and rendering is nearly impossible. Preview of Materials is a joke, and I do not see my self upgrading from V5 at all.

I took a look at the newest and fastest MacMini on the market, and Lo and behold, the Graphic Card
( Intel UHD Graphics 630 ) is, as usual with Mac, non-upgradeable, integrated in the CPU, allocating processing power from the System RAM.

BUT - mind you - it can only allocate max 1.5 GB !

Maybe I am misinformed here - I would love to think so - and I hope McNeel have had some thoughts on this , when implementing this new renderer, and materials system.

Could we please see a list of supported Mac models, and RAM configurations on said models, that would be powerfull enough for the V6 renderer, instead of a generic answer: “you would need 8GB of VRAM” ? I have a slight suspiscion it can only be done with the new, seriously expensive iMacs, Imac Pro, and MacBook pro etc. Am I wrong ?

Hans Henrik

You may want to go into Preferences > Advanced Settings and search for RhinoCycles.DpiScale. Set it to 2 or 3 before switching to Raytraced. Further set UseFastDraw to true

I am on a MBP, 13" from 2017, which Intel UHD Graphics 650. The GPU isn’t used for Raytraced rendering, it will be CPU only on this configuration. On my machine Raytraced then defaults to 2 threads, since there are only 4 logical cores on this machine. With RhinoCycles.DpiScale set to 2 I am able to set a viewport to Raytraced with some sort of responsiveness while having three predator heads on my screen, totalling 2,9M polygons.

You should be able to use Raytraced on this kind of machines as well - it won’t be especially fast, but if you tweak some settings, and don’t use the non-dashed -ViewCaptureToFile method you should be able to get good renderings out still. While the viewport uses the modified RhinoCycles.DpiScale setting for faster feedback in the vp a capture would still render at full resolution.

Can you be more specific, please?

/Nathan

@nathanletwory - well, you know… all build up, and no punch line :slight_smile:

@nathanletwory - No, Im kidding :slight_smile: - Thank you for a very specific answer. I am sorry for being grumpy sarcastic, but I just got a bit frustrated from feeling helpless. I am not accustomed using renderer, and have never really used rendering before in my projects, only the simple “rendered” preview in V5, and then screenshots from that. I use two 27" monitors though, and was thinking of swapping to 2 x 32" for more real estate. With the new Rhino V6 it suddenly looked as If I could only use Rhino with a stupenduosly expensive Mac machine…

Regarding the V6 Materials editor, and list of Preview - it is just… slow. It feels buggy, and I have to wait about 5 sec efter each click, and I can hear the MacMini starting to fan. Maybe its the same issue as with Raytraced, I dont know. But I will try with the settings you have suggested, and see how it goes from there.

Thanks !

@nathanletwory - So - I tried with the new advanced settings: RhinoCycles.DpiScale to 3 - UseFastDraw to true.
While the responsiveness in the ViewPort is significantly better, the preview of materials is still really slow.
15 sec + unresponsiveness warnings for each click, which includes trying to scroll through the list.

My raytraced View looks like wireframe View, so maybe something has buggered up for me?
(It did so also before entering this post - I have been struggling with this for a week or so before posting)

Unfortunately, in the past, Intel has not been known for making the best GPUs. Unfortunately also: they may start. Often in Intel’s setup, the CPU sometimes does double duty because the driver model was/is incomplete. Anyway…

It’s no fun at times, but you might get more speed by cutting down on the anti-aliasing. Also, go through any graphic and Rhino settings you can find, and make sure that aniosotropic filtering is off. From what you have posted, it is on currently. Unless you are applying materials on long hallways or um…parking lots, you likely don’t need it. Anoisotropic filtering allows us to see clearer into the vanishing point on the horizon. You can decide for yourself if what you are working on is that long or high.

Also, if you are using texture-maps on your materials, keep them small. It’s not the law anymore with OpenGL, but it’s still good to keep their sizes powers of 2 wherever possible, such as: 32, 64, 128, 256, 192…because it still might save space in the video chip.

On the PC-side it’s been my experience that Cycles oddly does render about the norm for raytracing, though it can be…a little persnickety allowing the user input to interrupt what is may be doing.

Though, until you get that new Mac Pro, or an Imac, or shove an armful of 2-slot video cards into PC box, you still might get acceptable rending results with the stock Rhino renderer.

As far as lining things up and working with a material’ed preview. I make a copy of the Shaded view mode, and then edit the copy (only) turning on materials in the preview, making sure shadows are off, and then turning off 1 of the 3 lights that are on by default. At least then, you can model and apply materials.

Also, your system only has 8GB of RAM. My roommate’s 12MBP went into using virtual memory while web surfing because he has 20 tabs open, before I had an intervention with him that ended with him returning the one he just bought, and buying one with 16MB of RAM. A 3D application will hit your system harder than that.

[I am making something that takes about 9GB of system RAM, and 5GB of VRAM on a 180-watt video card.]

Lastly, you have a Retina display, which is nice, but there are more dots to push. I have a 2880x1620 screen on my Thinkpad W540. I am sure that the screen is slower than if it were only 1080.

@Brenda - Thank you for a lot of great , specific input ! I have a lot to learn about rendering, I can tell… :slight_smile:
I have 16 GB Ram in the MacMini (Late 2014) 2.8Ghz, so its not that bad of a machine. Offcourse the new Macs are way better, but you know… Apple is greedy…

My current model is really simple. 3-4 different materials, very few surfaces. I was trying to play with the CyclesEmissive material, if I could make some points “glow” in the dark, but gave up after a few days.

Memory-wise, it may also help to reboot the computer before you start Rhino, and even take a peek into what starts when you computer does, such as Dropbox, Messaging applications, Skype, Discord, File Sharing, Quick Starters, Web Browsers, Email programs, etc. .

If you have only 8GB of memory, and software/OS needs more, it will use the SSD or hard drive, possibly slowing it by 1000 times than if you had enough. Also, this kind of thing does theoretically wear SSDs to some extent.

[Word is on the streets, that Macs also write their memory contents to SSD as soon as they sleep, too.]

Though, there is no magic bullet. Raytracing isn’t fast on anything, and it never was. As we keep on making it faster, we also keep making the screens larger.

@nathanletwory - Raytraced view looks like Wireframe - and Mesh looks all fuzzy/Transparent ?
(Screenshot from Raytraced viewport preview)

(Screenshot from Rendered Viewport preview)

I believe you should disable »show isocurves« and maybe also surface edges in this mode i actually thought that should be off by default, I may be wrong don’t use the wip that often my computer is too old. the fuzziness, if I interpret that correct is from the ambient occlusion which simulates shadow in corners to make it look more natural

Yes this is the issue I am trying to determine - If / How it is possible to use V6 on my current machine.
… and discovering some weird issues in the process…

Yes i understood :slight_smile: i meant my computer is not able to install the wip since I have a Mac book pro from mid 2009 which is not able to install a system beyond El Capitan and thus no v6. I have installed it on my wife’s computer but using that of course does not happen so often. I am thinking about buying a new Mac mini (the new Mac pros are far out of league i would work a year for those only) Or a newer MacBook Pro 13 but I am very hesitant regarding gpu power

You might want to check out this thread too:

Hi @ohlers, is this a model you can share with me? If you don’t want to attach here on the forum you can use Rhino - Upload to Support to share with me confidentially. I’ll be notified when the upload is complete.

No problem, we all started with nothing :slight_smile: I understand it can be extra hard if it all feels not good.

Hmm, Raytraced is not (yet) used in the material preview rendering. That is done with the current offline renderer (kicked off through _Render).

Maybe @dan has more knowledge about how this should work with the hardware you have.

I hope I got most important bits and pieces replied to. Anyway, please share the model with me so I can perhaps give some advice.

Hi again @ohlers,

I have received your file and looked at it. It appears the file loads and renders fine:

One thing that would be good to try here is for you to ensure your Raytraced settings are at their defaults for sure. First ensure no viewports are in Raytraced mode, then please go to Preferences > Display Modes. Click on Raytraced, then hit the Restore Defaults button in the top right corner of the dialog. Then please switch your view to Raytraced. Does it look any better?

Its looks ok now - same as your screenshot :slight_smile: But Raytraced is definately cramping my MacMini ! :slight_smile: Thanks. Will the preferences change, when switching back and forth, from Windows and Mac ? Or is the settings only related to the Software / local computer?

I have this mediocre MacMini, that I have been working on for many years now, using Rhino V5. I also bought a bigger PC, for a special Photogrammetry / MindeskVR / Rhino V6 Windows - setup. So I have the Horsepower in the PC, but I love to work and feel most comfortable with OSX.

IF… i upgrade my V5Mac to V6, that would be for the convenience of swithcing back and forth betw Mac and PC, working on the same file. Also: The thing is - if I stay with V5 on the Mac, and openV5 files in V6, i would have to save it in V6 and cannot then open it in V5. With V6 on both Mac and PC I would then anticipate just not going into Raytraced mode on the MacMini, and perhaps also avoid Rendered mode, since the Preview seems way more havy on the GPU/CPU than previous V5.5 Rendering preview . Also the V6 Material preview panel slows down the Machine significantly.

Do you see some trouble with file corruption, and messing up settings coming my way, with such a workflow, switching betw. Mac and PC ?

You mentioned some tweaking advanced settings earlier on the MacMini:
RhinoCycles.DpiScale : whats is easiest on the machine? 1 … or 3 ?
UseFastDraw: true - is this setting for the Machine or the file?

I think you get the picture, and the imminent question:

Wouldnt it be nice if the new Rhino 6 Mac could have an additional “low budget Mac” default, where all the advanced tweakings and GPU heavy options where reasonably adjusted?

Maybe you eventually call it something nicer, like “poor mans button” or “get your shit together”-knob, but as long as it could help a guy like me transition to V6 with a feeling of newly brewed cup of coffee and a warm croissant, I´d be happy :slight_smile: