Rhino crashing

My rhino file was running for 24 hours to render and now my rhino is crashing and keeps coming out of the app. Please help.

please open rhino and run the systeminfo command and paste the results here-

Rhino 7 SR21 2022-7-27 (Rhino 7, 7.21.22208.13002, Git hash:master @ c31aea87137a5d0de449338a7ef6856f49dd4797)

License type: Educational, build 2022-07-27

License details: Cloud Zoo

Apple macOS Version 11.3.1 (Build 20E241) (Physical RAM: 8Gb)

Mac Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,2

Language: en-AU (MacOS default)

Intel(R) HD Graphics 6000 (OpenGL ver:4.1 INTEL-16.2.16)

OpenGL Settings

Safe mode: Off

Use accelerated hardware modes: On

Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x

Mip Map Filtering: Linear

Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel Inc.

Render version: 4.1

Shading Language: 4.10

Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384

Z-Buffer depth: n/a

Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Total Video Memory: 1536 MB

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000

Displays: Color LCD (128dpi 1x)

Graphics processors

Intel HD Graphics 6000 (1536 MB)

Color LCD (1440 x 900)

USB devices

Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices

None

Third party kernel extensions

None

Third party plugins

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFoundation.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftOSLog.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAppKit.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCloudKit.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftContacts.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreData.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreImage.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreLocation.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetal.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftUniformTypeIdentifiers.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftsimd.dylib

/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAccelerate.dylib

/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 7.21.22208.1002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.21.22208.13002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 7.21.22208.1002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 7.21.22208.1002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 7.21.22208.1002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.21.22208.13002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 7.21.22208.1002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.21.22208.13002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.21.22208.13002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.21.22208.13002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 7.21.22208.1002

/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.21.22208.13002

you are asking a lot from a mac book air with an intel hd graphics chip. This machine is just not set up to do 24 hr renders. It’s a light duty machine at best.

I’m guessing, but it likely over heated, and shut down to keep from damaging itself. It’s possible when it did this rhino crashed and your file may have become corrupted.

I hope you have time machine set up and can pull an older version of your file from versions.

If not you may try to use the rescue3dm command to see if anything can be recovered in this file.

can you start rhino and run it on a new blank file? or does it just crash immediately?

Please see above for the Rhino Crash file.

Rhino Crash.txt (3.42 KB)

do you have a crash dump file? this is just the system info-

I don’t know how the machine set up works that’s why i can’t check it. But i tried the rescue3dm but it kept crashing and coming out of the file. I also opened a new file but after 2,3 minutes when i used different rhino options it kept crashing again it is the same with all my other rhino files it opens but it keeps crashing.

so even a new blank file crashes?

I’m not sure. Are there any ways that i can check?

close all instances of rhino, relaunch it, open a new blank file then start adding geometry (boxes spheres etc… does it crash?

This is the first crash dump file from yesterday. There are more files as it kept crashing. i can send you the rest as well if necessary.

(Attachment Rhinoceros_2022-08-19-142041_Panizs-MacBook-Air-2.crash is missing)

ok, thanks,
looking at your crash report, it appears to be in the graphics display driver. you may want to try resetting your plist, and as a last resort update your mac os to get newer graphics drivers.

see info on how to reset plist here-
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/resetprefs?s[]=plist

No but when i apply material and lights it does crash again.

Hey @paniz_ghasri,

I’ve looked at your crash dump. For what it’s worth, the crash occurs in Apple’s Intel OpenGL driver.

Since your system is pretty under powered, you might consider setting a viewport into either Rendered or Raytraced display mode and then just capture the view using ViewCaptureToFile, rather than rendering…

– Dale

I tried resetting but it said not found.

Please see above for the attached file.

Hi Dale,
Thank you for the information. But my rhino keeps crashing even in new files. I can’t work with any rhino file because it keeps coming out of the application after 2,3 minutes of opening. This happens with all my rhino files and even new files. If you could please help.
Thanks

I can’t fix Apple video drivers, and I cannot fix an underpowered system.

– Dale

Hi -

I’m running Rhino on a MacBookAir7,2 but I’m running macOS Version 12.5.1.
Apple fixes issues in the video drivers in newer versions of the OS, so you might as well update the OS.
-wim