Origami like tesselation

I want to create a origami like structure on a cylinder, but without using kangaroo. I do not need to have the ability to really unfold the structure, but I do like the look of the image attached.

I really do not know how to start. Could I use lunchbox or paneling tools for this? I looks almost like it originates from a hexagon structure, but the triangles are all overlapping, so it also seems the hexagons are overlapping.

If anybody has any idea, please let me know! Thank you in advance.

Patrick

1 Like

reschmesh.gh (24.1 KB)
This definition does use one component from Kangaroo, but not for simulation, just getting the checkerboard pattern, since this can be seen as rotating each triangle in clockwise/anticlockwise direction on a checkerboard grid.

Hi Daniel, Thank you very much. I am now working on integrating this in a 3d shape (cylinder). Have a look at what I did. The only thing I am now struggling with is to remove the seam of the cylinder. cylinder with origami like structure.gh (20.7 KB)

Hi Daniel,

Would it still be possible to have the pattern be more open or closed under the influence of the curvature/tension of the surface? So if I have a more bulged surface the tesselation is more open and if it’s a straight surface it’s more closed?

Kind regards, Patrick

For that you’d need to change the parameter going into the Eval components so instead of just a single slider, it uses a different value based on the curvature of the surface at that point (I’d say use the midpt of the edge).
Here’s an idea of how to set this up
reschmesh_vary.gh (22.5 KB)

1 Like