Ron Resh Rigid Origami Simulation Applied on a curved Surface

Hello dear fellow Grasshopper users.
I try to create a simulation of Ron Resh origami to find a geometry and a construction on what it can be applied to build a physical kinetic prototype at the end.
But i am stuck at the very beginning where im creating the grid for the origami to use Kangaroo afterwards. Im trying to divide the normal triangle segment on ratio of 1.5 to later make new segments, but currently it divides the grid in a wrong way.
How should i sort out the segments? And could you give me a hint on how can i apply the origami on cylinder for example? Thank you in advance!
SofiaOrigami_simplified_triangular simulation_210118.gh (48.7 KB)

Hi and welcome to this forum!
Strictly related:

My usual note about this specific type of origami (citing myself):
Note that, this kind of origami easily have high deformation. It starts flat and it ends flat when completely folded… but at the in-between angles it is forcefully curved. High modules count would need too much double curvature, it deform, stretches.

Also I’ve yet to see any practical application of origami.
Paper origami really β€œexploit” the elasticity of paper. A metal structure would be a mess.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply and for sharing advice about the materiality for the origami! We will be using carboard and we will have only two rows with seven β€œumbrellas” in summ. I want to put the umbrellas with the motors that will fold them on a cylindrical surface, but i need to simulate it to see what problems i will face putting these umbrellas next to each other.
So i tried to follow your instructions for the projection of the origami on a surface, but i couldnt follow what point should go where.

Could you guide me a little bit?
Thank you for the help
Sofia

Hello sofia, I’m a student of architecture in pakistan lahore. I’m in 2nd year currently and I’m researching on ron resch pattern which is similar to this, it would be really helpful if you’d share the rhino file please, thank you.
Umair.