Orca plug in for Rhino 6

I’ve been trying to find out if Orca will be available for Rhino 6 . Tried phoning Orca several times last week , and today the number was no longer in service

(Scott Davidson) #2

Give these a try:

sales@orca3d.com and support@orcas3d.com are still working.

I believe Bruce is still on this email: bhays@orca3d.com

Larry is on the other end of support.

Do any of those work for you?

I tried the number I had for Bruce and got the ‘out of service’ message too. Went to website and tried the number there and got the same message. That made me nervous so I started a ‘support ticket’ there and got this prompt reply from Larry so I guess we can stop worrying!

As you know the current version of Orca3D (V1.x) is not compatible with Rhinoceros 6. We are currently working on a new version of Orca3D (version 2) that will run in Rhino 6, and hope to have a Work-in-Progress (WIP) version of Orca V2 available later this spring. We follow the same distribution model as McNeel in that major updates (e.g., Rhino 5 to 6 or Orca 1 to 2) are paid upgrades, while minor updates and service releases are free of charge to existing customers. Of course you can continue to use your current version of Orca3D and Rhino 5 as long as you like.

Thank you for your question about Orca3D.

Bruce Hays in a neighbor and long time friend of mine and we’ve worked together since the advent of Fast Yacht. In any case, the mother company to ORCA still owns proprietary rights to the plug-in. However, I don’t believe that they still support it. I’m not sure what the future holds and will get back to this forum as I find out more productive information. I’m about to upgrade to Rhino 6 myself and don’t know if ORCA will meet that version’s requirements. Probably not as history has taught me with software woes! All the best, and I’LL BE BACK, Rob

(Bhays) #5

The core team that created Orca3D is still together, supporting and developing the code. There is an ownership transition going on, and we hope to have an announcement on that front soon. In the meantime, Larry and I can be reached at bhays@orca3d.com or lleibman@orca3d.com. However, it’s best to use support@orca3d.com or sales@orca3d.com, in case we’re not immediately available.